Breatfeeding and milk supply

I have a question and I need some advice..so my lo is 11 weeks I've been for the most part breast feeding and supplementing with formula just because after every feeding he seems to be starving still, he can down another 3 ounces of formula. would like to continue breastfeeding and pumping when I go back to work. Since my milk supply is low I've tried mother's milk tea, i've been taking it for about 3 days but baby is still acting really hungry after I nurse him and lately he has just been taking small naps and waking up more often at night to nurse. Anyone know how I will know if the tea is working? Or any other suggestions? someone told me Fenugreek. I really want to keep breast feeding but at the same time I want my baby to eat healthy and not be hungry, I really worry about him eating well since I know he can easily eat 4-6 ounces of formula in one feeding.

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping will never get you as much as the baby will get. While you're home, try pumping while you nurse. It will stimulate the same hormones having the baby will, so you will get a TON more milk. This way, you'll have it on hand for while you're gone. Try to pump in the morning, too, because the stress of the day hasn't set in, and you will be more relaxed, and able to get more milk. I'm thrilled to hear you feel so strongly about nursing; it's absolutely the best thing for your baby (even if you can't exclusively BF). Try switching breasts if he's getting fussy at the first one (as in, drained it). You want to make sure your breasts are getting drained, as milk production is a supply and demand deal.
    Good luck!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You need to cut back on the supplementing...supply and demand...the more he nurses, the more milk you will produce...when you give him formula, he needs less milk from you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with Jademom07. Also, if you can time your lo, try pumping in between feeding so that you increase your supply. But be carefull that it is not too close to your lo's feeding so that he does get enough. Good luck and hand in there!
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 7:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• what amkes you think your supply is low? of course your baby is gonna drink the 3oz why cuzis there? all babies are like that. fussy is normal. the more formula you give the less milk you will ahve. you dont need to supplement as long as you are changing 6 diapers a day everything is good. babies are supposed to be easy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I suggest ditching the formula. If he's hungry after nursing, just nurse again. And again. Over and over, on demand. This will boost your supply. If you are EBF, changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period (soaked diaper counts for 2) and he's gaining weight and meeting milestones, there is no supply issue. :) This early on, I'd probably go cold turkey on the formula. The more he fusses at the breast, the more it will signal to your body, "hey, more milk needed!"
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• drink lots of water, like two big glasses before each feeding. i couldnt produce much milk without that! i also agree with stopping the formula... it is confusing to the baby
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Dump the formula. He's supposed to seem always hungry and the formula is merely making things worse. Dump it. Count dipes. 6-8 changes a day is the only thing that matters, nothing else.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I've tried pumping in between feedings and I can't even get an ounce out of each breast, I've tried breastfeeding on demand. I don't want to give up, In the beginning i had a horrible experience with trying to breastfeed my nipples bled and they were chapped for about the first 2 weeks and I still stuck through it and pumped and let him nurse even though I was in alot of pain. Thanks ladies for your advice. It's easy to get discourage when breatfeeding, my husband wants me to stop because he sees that i try to keep up with baby and it's frustrating for baby and I. I just always hear stories about how some babies nurse really good I feel bad. I know breast-feeding is the best for my baby but I am not opposed to formula either my other two boys were formula fed and they grew up great, I just want to hang on to this experience a little while longer :)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• 2 OZ OR LESS IS NORMAL OUTPUT.PUMPING IS NOT A SIGN OF SUPPLY. IF YOU WERE TO PUMP MORE THEN YOU ARE STRANGE
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ignore your pump. It does NOT tell you how much your baby gets at breast. Babies are much more efficient at removing milk then a machine is. Honestly, on demand nursing with no supplementation is the best way to increase your supply. What made you think it was low in the first place? I doubt it really is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009