Why does disagreeing is looked upon as bashing?

How does disagreeing with someone about a religious beleif be considered bashing? Where does it say that we all need to agree to speak to each other? as long as it is done respectfully why not? what constitutes bashing?

Asked by older at 7:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Some people just don't know how to take disagreement very well while some don't know how to respectfully disagree.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• what constitutes bashing?

The question below this is a perfect example. It basically states - tell me why you have a different religion than I do and I'll tell you why I'm right and you're wrong. It's telling anyone what they should believe, that they are "doing it wrong" or that they need to be saved, have their eyes opened, need to learn the truth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What constitutes bashing?That's easy. When a person continually creates posts that are designed to ridicule another religion or belief, that considered bashing. You can always tell those questions or responses because the person asking has no desire to listen at all to another point of view and try to learn something. Disagreeing is voicing an opposing opinion in a respectful manner and showing a desire to at least learn something new and consider other possibilities. You do not have to accept those beliefs as being right, but you can accept that they exist and that it's ok for someone else to believe that way as long as they aren't interfering with what you believe.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• are you talking about one particular person?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No Anon, I am talking about someone accusing me of bashing because I acknowledge those who agree with me, and disagree with those who don't. Isn't that the general rule though, I am never disrespectful of others even if I don't agree, but I try to emphasize my point and wala!! I am bashing!

Answer by older at 8:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It kind of works like this, if I came one and said I believe God frowns upon homosexuality fine I have a right to that opinion. Now if I came on everyday and said this and directed to the same persons(s) it would become bashing. My point isn't to get the word out about God.

It works just the opposite as well, if I came on here everyday saying this is the way I believe and started posting ridiculous stats and pictures to prove everyone else wrong it isn't so much disagreeing but a need to say the other way of thinking is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i don't think difference of belief and opinions should be considered bashing. but i do think mocking, saying hateful things, calling a person a liar, denigrating God to a believer, name calling, and falsifying things are considered bashing. and i also believe that calling athesist names and such is bashing as well

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh, this is a good question. I agree with you. I also wonder, like another poster mentioned, why, if I disagree with someone (without being rude or disrespectful, mind you) I'm judgemental. I mean, seriously, if you disagree with me you think I'm just as wrong as I think you are, lol, so that would make the accuser judgemental too. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am not sure why christians consider a "negative" observance about their religion or their god as a personal attack on THEM, but they do. Even the slightest infringement on their perceived "privilege" as the majority belief system is considered an insult...or even blasphemy. An atheist billboard put up next to the hundreds of christian ones only said "Imagine no religion." and there was a screaming protest of christians until it was removed. They are losing their privileges and live in fear of their mythology dying, and of the human race evolving past being superstitious primatives with the need for imaginary gods.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• everyone has a right to their beliefs and the right to talk proudly about them, BUT..when words like ridiculous are used to talk about another s religion that is bashing. I agree with Aasiyah -mocking, saying hateful things, calling a person a liar, denigrating God to a believer, name calling, and falsifying things are considered bashing. People must talk about their faith and protect their faith or non-faith without being rude, or mean.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009