Is there a need for additional child care options?

Is there a need for night/overnight child care centers to cover child care for parents who work night shifts and parents who would like to do things during the evening or need last minute responsible child care?
If yes, why would you use the care and what would be a resaonable pay rate?

FoxzieDom

Asked by FoxzieDom at 8:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• There actually IS a woman who provides such care in my area, for long nights. And there's a drop-in child care center that handles "parents' night out."

I don't know what the first charges. I seem to remember the latter had a membership fee and then a per hour rate but it's been too long since I looked into it.

I WISH there was some more flexibility in hours, because I've had to turn down some great jobs with hours of midnight to 9AM. DH was home at night, but that stretch from his 5AM departure to work and the start of school at 9AM was impossible.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• God bless the people who are willing to watch children all night long. I know they are a true blessing for parent(s) who have no choice but to work night hours, especially if the childcare is in a loving, home setting. If they can find someone to stay overnight in their home so their child can sleep in their own bed, that would be even better.
    For parents to go out at night not due to work, it would be their responsibility to find and hire a sitter to come into their home so that their child is comfortable in their own setting.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I really don't think that would be good for the kids. Could you imagine having to go to another place than your own home to sleep every night or every other night? I would definitely not like that. I would hire a nanny or in-home babysitter any day, and even pay more than such daycare, for the well being of my kids. I understand that some parents have to work nights, but the children shouldn't have to suffer for that.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Lily, since my son prefers the FLOOR to any bed we offer him (he doesn't sleep through the night on a bed, let him sleep on the floor, he doesn't wake up) I am not sure he would be unhappy no matter where he was. I think it is an excellent idea to offer daycare to varied hours but have been unsure about the demand of it. I know several mothers who could not advance their careers at grocery stores and restaurants because they had to keep their open hours to 8-5 because of daycare. I think i would expect to pay high average or more for such a daycare if it was the normal number of hours just odd hours. I would expect to pay more if it was 12 hour shifts the parents were working and needed care. Its an interesting idea.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009