Moms with more than one heeeelp!

HOw in the world do you keep peace while you're trying to cook dinner? I can't hold the baby and entertain the toddler and cook someone would get burnt,....what do you do? Or just someone has to cry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I guess I'm old school. I held one, cooked with the other hand, and entertained the toddler. Don't remember loosing my mind - of course, maybe I did, and I just don't remember it.... hmmm.. LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I taught my toddlers how to entertain themselves. By the time ds was old enough to walk, he knew how to spend time by himself. The baby just sat in a swing in the kitchen or right outside while I cooked.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• UMM OK.

It will get better. Maybe you can put up a baby gate to keep them out of the kitchen. You can put a kids movie on for them, spread toys and books out on the floor for them and even put the lil 1 in the playpen for a bit. It's not wrong and it won't hurt them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• put the baby in a play pen or a swing or when dh is home he needs to deal. Put cartoons on for the toddler if they like it. if not get them something they like to play with and see how well that works. OR PLAY PEN lol
    Anonymous

• so your homes are always peaceful when you need to get something done? My kids don't have patience for the tv I guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• sit toddler down to colour or pots and pans.... baby in a bouncy seat
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 8:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have a two year old and I watch a 6mth old all week. When I start making dinner, I put Curious George on for my son because he stays glued to it and put the 6mth old on the floor to work on tummy time, rolling over, or crawling. Works for me. Find something the toddler likes to do and have him stick to it. My kitchen also is basically opened up into the living room so i would have to get a huge gate to run clear across to keep them out. They will find a way to entertain themselves.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 8:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I dont know how old your baby is but, you can use either a hig chair or bouncy seat and keep it in the kitchen. The toddler could sit at the table or on the floor with a coloring book and crayons or a few toys. I had 3 under 3 and its tough and sometimes very stressful but I managed to get everything done without completely losing it lol! I also tried to pre-prepare things if possible, so I dont have to do everything at once.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My boys (oldest will be 3 in Nov and the younger one will be 2 in Dec) either watch tv, color or go in their room to play. There are days that they just want to be underfoot while I cook dinner so I try to find something for them to do in the kitchen, banging pots and pans, making towers out of the plastic cups. Usually it works but there are days that I do lose my mind. My baby is only 6 1/2 weeks old so if she is usually in the swing or bouncy seat. Today though, of course she got hungry right when I was putting dinner together, so she cried for a little (like two minutes) while I got dinner in the oven to cook. I know if I put up a gate for my kids that would cause them to be more trouble. They may not be underfoot but they would stand at the gate and scream and cry because they would want in. Hopefully you find something that works for you! It will get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i have 4 boys- 5, 4, 2 and 3 months- i put the baby in a front carrier and i close the safety gate so that my 2 yr old doesnt come in and i cook lol its either cook or have hungry kids- good luck! i feel your pain!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009