How do we keep our teenagers in school when they do not want to go?

lballew

Asked by lballew at 8:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Alot of times there is a reason why kids don't want to go. I would ask them what is going on and listen to conversations they have with their buddies. Look for some tips on things not being good at school. It is not always a rebellious teen that is the problem, it could be peer pressures, bad teachers, and we don't really know. Alot of times they won't tell us (parents) for fear you will go up there and cause a seen and embarrass them. So don't assume anything... check it out.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Drive them to school and arrange the security guard to take them to their first class and ask the principal to make sure they attend all of their classes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Dont give them a choice! You make them go to school and you tell them that they have two options; Get their education so they can make it in life, or get a job and get out. It may seem harsh, but the reality of it is w/o some kind of high school edication, they cant do anything! Every job requires at least a high schoool Diploma or GED. If your teens want to be grown, let them. And see jsut how fast they come running back ready for school.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I had a conversation with my 3 daughters several years ago when they were all teens when this type of subject came up and I told them that they had a duty to themselves, to society, and to us (their parents) to at least earn a high school diploma.
    I further told them that if I ever found out that they were skipping school or letting their grades slip on purpose, that I would arrange for their teachers to put me in the desk right next to theirs so I can be sure that they ARE in attendance and that they ARE paying attention.
    I decided that if I had a child who was bold and hateful enough to skip school regardless of my intervention that I would go before a judge and have them placed in a program where they would be in a security setting similar to juvie.
    Thank goodness that my children have always placed education as a high priority in their lives and I've never had to go to any of the measures I've mentioned.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I skipped school alot, What changed my ways was my mother going to all of my classes with me for an entire month, Yup that's right she attended school and made sure my rump was there. After that she would randomly pop into the school to make sure i was there.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Mrs Harsh-that's cool and kinda cute and I guess it worked! ;-)
    My kids were not really crazy about going to school but they did and then they all got college degrees. Their Dad and I didn't threaten or get angry but we did set good examples and their friends were all good kids who went to college too. Education seemed natural and the normal thing to do...staying in or dropping out was not an issue.They just assumed they would graduate. They played sports-soccer and tennis--and also had part time jobs on weekends --so they had a good life.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• if they don't want to get an education they can get a job. they can pay half the rent, pay for food, clothing and support themselves!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Call the truant officer and turn them in. The officer will come to your house and pick your kids up for school and they can also be ticketed and have to go in front of a judge and explain why they won't go to school and a plan will be set up that they have to follow . The will also get a fine. Let them deal with that and pay the fine on their own. You can also pop in to school unexpected to make sure the kids arein class, do NOT tell them when you are coming just that they are to expect you at anytime and if they are not their they lose ALL priveleges, they lose everything in their rooms but their beds and books. Take even their clothes and give them clean clothes everyday, that you pick out. When they learn to be responsible then they can earn their items back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• just tell them its the law they must attend school at least till they graduate 12th grade, if they don't and they get caught by the cops . they and you as their parents can get into alot of trouble.because the school will call the cops to go to your home and find out why your child is not in school.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Tell the police that they don't want to go. If your child's school will allow it, I would go to EVERY class with them. (IF possible) Or have them go with another adult that is capable of doing so.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009