What career should I pursue?

I want a career that lets me deal with people and help people out. I also want a career that is a good paying job and in a nice environment.

I am trying to complete my high school credits so I need to decide at this point. It's so hard!

I was thinking something along the lines of Nutrition, Social Work, and Family Marriage Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Fitness Trainer, Dietitian.

and I also want to know what kind of degrees I should get for a decent income and how much they make.

If you working as a social worker, therapist etc please share your experience and pros and cons.

Thanks!

Lulu_101

Asked by Lulu_101 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, social workers do not make good money, they make decent money but there is a high burnout rate because of what a social worker has to deal with. I am currently in school for Human Services, which is like social work. I am going to pursue a Bachelor's degree and eventually a masters degree so I can counsel kids and adults that are ADD/ADHD. I do NOT want to work in social services, it is just too stressful. It is an in demand career though. You would definately be helping people. With a bachelor's or masters degree you can do a lot more than social work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• its not what you mentioned but im an MRI technologist and you need at least an associates degree and the MRI training. Starting salary is around 30/hr in most states. i was looking at jobs in Florida to see what the salary was since its cheaper down there and one facility was offering $24-26/hr depending on experience. Its a great field and you do help people out. It's a nice environment whether you work in a hospital or a private facility. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Go to nursing school and become a registered nurse (RN). There is a huge nursing shortage; you will be able to work just about anywhere in the world. Start with a community college; if they don't have an RN program, your credits will easily transfer to a state or private university. Stay away from for-profit schools; they exist to make money, not educate.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• ok I like nursing but I have a problem with seeing blood- if there is a position in nursing that doesn't require taking people's blood then I"m for it!
    Lulu_101

Answer by Lulu_101 at 8:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's all about what's going to make you happy and something you will not get burnt out on. I suggest you contact some offices of what you think you will be happy doing and ask if you can observe for a day to decide if that the field you want. All thru HS I was taking medical courses and interning at local hospitals because I was convinced I wanted to be an X-ray or MRI tech. I completed all my courses medical term I, II & III, then received my 1st responders license, took a test to become a level I EMT and completed a pharmacy tech program. My senior year I competed in a bridge building contest in Physics class and my bridge was examined by engineers and I won 1st place in our regional contest. I had so much fun designing my bridge that I decided I wanted to be a structural engineer and that's what I went to school for. I took med courses I will never use, but I make 3x more than a MRI or X-ray tech. I am happy.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2009