Missing Periods

My niece is missing her period for a few monthes every few monthes. Is this normal? What should my sister do? She is not sexually active. We are beginning to worry as she has been getting her period for five years now and it should have become regular by now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i thought you didnt get a normal cycle till your 20's. i know my periods were erratic there when i was a teen.what with all the stress from school and what not. try BC. i know no onw wants to do it but it helps. i was put on it when i was 13 (after i had a sergery to remove an ovary from a reptured cyst)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If she isn't sexually active there isn't really any concern. However, if you want them to completely be "normal" talk to her doc about getting on a BC pill to help regulate them. Or whatever he/she may suggest. Mine have always been regular, ever since the first period at 13...
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• As a tee, periods can vary, though I'd check with a doc just in case.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 9:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• at the begining it always starts slow you may not get it every month. and as far as i remember i didn't get it every month myself. but i heard it happens to alot of people too.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i was NEVER regular until i got pregnant and gave birth to my first daughter. I started at around 12 and i never had a regural set date to start or however long it lasted... i never payed attention to it since i wasnt "Active" so i dont think theres a reason to worry, but if its still a concern, theres always a Dr. to ask
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 3:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• When your niece does get her cycle does she have bad cramping; like more than normal cramp discomfort?

From 12-18 I would get my period only every few months; usually after I did something active; like running etc...and the cramps were horrid. They got worse as I got older and finally at 18 I went to see an OB - I wasn't sexually active; but still...

They determined I had endometriosis; which you can 'halt' it's growth with BC pills and that will help with the cramping as well. Mine was a minor case that was caught early; my cousin was not so lucky and she now can not carry a preg to term. So it's something to have checked.

Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• As a teen with irregular and/or missing periods I saw LOTS of doctors who always said, "It'll level out." She still should see a doc, and a doc should keep aware of her progress and changes. But most likely there's nothing to worry about.

Per other posts, there could be something, like endometriosis. So share all the info/symtoms you can with the doc. The free Hallmark calendar, available at stores in late Nov. early Dec., is a great was to track details & show the doc.

For me, it turns out I was anovulatory (made linings, but not eggs). Figured that out pretty quick with a single visit to a fertility specialist at age 25. Drugs helped the eggs develop & all was well.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 3:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have that same problem with my daughter, she is 15 and has to take progesterone to straighten hers out.
    Delilah05

Answer by Delilah05 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009