How do I get my 4 year old to start sleeping in his bed ?

howella

Asked by howella at 9:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 3 1/2 y/o that doesn't like to sleep in his bed...I put him to bed in his bed (which he does just fine). But during the night he wakes up and comes into my room. When I want him to stay in his bed, we simply lock our bedroom door and when he wakes up we walk him back to his bed and let him throw his fit (unless it's too loud and starts waking the other kids, then we tell him we will spank him if he doesn't stop...he usually stops). I don't really know how to help if he isn't even laying in his bed in the first place?
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We co-slept for a while and at about 13-14 months he started sleeping very poorly. When I moved him to his crib, he did great on his own. Anyway, DH came back from deployment and he started sleeping with us again. I didn't mind, but after a while, I became pregnant and bigger, so I needed the extra space.

What we did that worked wonders was had a routine and stuck with it. It was always, get ready for bed, have mommy or daddy read a book and then get tucked in.

The first few nights were pretty bad. He cried and threw a fit when we left and he would follow us. But we would get up and put him back into bed.

I disagree about the spanking. I mean, that's a punishment and transitioning into a bed can be a scary thing and should be approached like potty training: with lots of love and patience!

It took several days (like 3-4) and it did suck (not a lot of good sleep), but it worked and now he sleeps like a champ.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• At 4 years, you put them in bed and tell them to stay put!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009