How can I get my 3 month old to stop sucking on his hands?

My son has always sucked on the back of his hand for comfort. He was born with hand hickies!

Asked by Korini at 11:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him a pacifier?

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well, my question would be why do you want him to stop? Its self soothing- babies need to suckle and its either a hand, or foot in some cases, nursing or a bottle, or a binkie. If he has found his hands thats one less thing you have to run and look for in the middle of the night or in the car. Let him suck. But if youre that unhappy he is doing it try the little mittens they have to keep them from scratching themselves. That young I really wouldnt try any bad tasting things on his hands.

Answer by iammoi at 11:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Sucking is completely normal at 3 months. Either give him a pacifier or let him suck his hand.

Answer by jamie8506 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• why stop my doctor told me they do it for comfort and its all part of them growing its quite natural thing that they do there is no need to stop it maybe if it annoys u put a pacifer in his mouth

Answer by devilscandy69 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Go with whatever comforts him.

Answer by unga at 12:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My daughter just turned 3 and sure enough, she started sucking on her hands. She doesnt do it quite often but i see no harm in it. Maybe a pacifier will work if he simply enjoys the sucking motion. Just be sure his hands are clean if they're going in his mouth.

Answer by HawaiianGirl58 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• This is totally normal behavior for a three month old infant.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 4:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It may look weird now, but they grow out of it. The hand (imo) is better than a paci, because they can't lose it :)

Answer by handsomebabyj at 11:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• it depends on why you want to stop him from doing it... My son I had to make him stop because he has excima and it was breaking him out all over.
    I had to give him other things to suck on that wouldnt cause him irritation

Answer by munozbabies2 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You can't thats his thing he will stop when he finds his toes, mine did.

Answer by rosetoes at 6:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008