Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Myy son was considered developmental delayed and has a speech problem. I was wondering if I can receive a disability check to help with the doctor bills? Does it matter how much I make?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (7)
  • yes it matters how much you make and if you have insurance, there is alot of help out there for speech therapy, contact parents as teachers organization and they should be able to help you, that being said if dad is not in the picture, you may be able to get some social securtiy help, good luck,

    Answer by kimigogo at 9:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

  • I never got a check for my son who also was diagnosed as developmentally delayed and has a speech problem. He received his speech therapy from the school and graduated from high school last May. I don't know the severity of your son's issue, my son is not severe. You should be able to call the Social Security Office to find out if he qualifies.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • It matters how much you make and he has to be such a severe delay that he won't ever be able to support himself. (to my understanding...I'm not saying I'm totally correct)

    I have more than one with developmental delays (one global) and they are not eligible for disability.

    Go through your school district and get an IEP. They cover the expense. We've been doing therapy for over 2 1/2 years now and I've never paid for it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • My daughter has speech delay and developmentally delayed. She also has Dyslexia. We had all the testing done by the school and the school has her in an IEP. As for getting SS, probably not. It would be nice I know but not likely.


    Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • I too never receivced any money for having a speech delayed child, who also has ADHD and had occupational therapy.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • My son had a speech delay and in our county they had a program that went by your income and I did not have to pay anything for it. He did go to head start program which goes by your income that was free. so you have to check out some progarms some are free.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • You would have to inquire at your local Dept. of Human Services. If they say it's a possibility they will give you an application and a bunch of forms to fill out. Then they will go over all your information, his medical history, ect, your income and all the other info and determine whether or not you would be eligible. No promises, but it never hurts to try I guess.

    Answer by neonds13 at 3:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.