Am I Over-Reacting?!

I need some of y'all to tell me if I'm over-reacting. My DH just got off the phone with his mom & she said they are coming up my birthday weekend. She did ask if we had any plans (which we did but they weren't set in stone) & since they live far away we told them no. But then she told my DH the reason she wants to come up: his dog has really bad arthritis & she wants to put him to sleep. But since he was originally my DH's dog (since he was 12), she wants DH to be there. And since we can't afford to travel to them, they are going to travel to us.

Now, is it wrong for me to be mad that for my 25th birthday my DH is going to be mourning for his dog? I mean...couldn't they have planned to come up at a different time? The dog is healthy, just in pain, so they could come earlier or later. I haven't said anything to DH because he's upset enough as it is & I know it's not his fault...but why that weekend? Am I being a b!tch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• You need to tell him how your feeling and since you and his mom have such a good relationship then why can't you tell her that you don't think it's right that they are doing this on your birthday. Thats not right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• not a bitch.
    but me personally i dont make a big deal about my birthday. for me as long as i get cake and can have a few hrs of peace to get my hair or shop or whatever im good.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, since the dog is in pain.......I would ask that they come as soon as possible to put the poor thing out of his misery, which really seems the only logical thing to do anyway. Why would they want him to suffer any longer than necessary?

On the one hand I have compassion for the dog and if that's the only time he can be put to sleep I would get over any hurt feelings. On the other hand, if they could choose when to do it, why would they choose your birthday weekend?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Your're totally not being a bitch and you're not wrong to feel that way. I think regardless, he is going to still be sad and mourning because he knows very soon, his dog will be gone. They are not going to actually put the dog to sleep on your birthday, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• wow, your MIL is not very smart, huh? Every year your dh will not want to celebrate your birthday bc it will remind him of the dog's death. What is she thinking? Does she dislike you? Call her and tell her NO

Answer by admckenzie at 9:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP here. MIL & I have never had any problems, in fact we have a great relationship. The dog is on pain killers, so he rarely feels any pain. He still acts like a healthy puppy which is what makes this feel so personal. I also don't understand why they are carting the poor dog 1,000 miles just for DH. He doesn't want to watch the dog be put down, he just wants to see his family.

The only thing that really gets me is that I will feel bad for being happy that it's my birthday while he is so sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well when did he leave the "nest"? I had a childhood dog...yes he got old, yes he got sick, but my parents did not travel across the country after I had left the house to put him to sleep. Of course I loved him but he was sick and why would they want him to travel? Why can't they do it there? That's weird...sorry
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009