DO YOU HAVE A MINIATURE SCHNAUZER? PROS/CONS?

We are going to get a miniature schnauzer and I wanted to know your experience with them. Thanks

BlessednHappy

Asked by BlessednHappy at 9:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I had a schauser mix growing up and she was a wonderful unless you were the mailman or she felt that her family was in danger. They tend to be aone person dog though they love the entire family they just have a favorite person. They really should be socialized like any dog but they can be protective to a fault if you are not carefull. Wookie was a mix but she had all the charator traits of the schauser. She was like an old soul and very smart. My oldest sister is Mentally retarded and Wookie just new there was something differant about Dolly and she looked out for her. She would sit with Dolly for hours. Wookie was definantly my moms shadow but you did not mess with Dolly and get away with it when Wookie was around. Wookie was also the protector of wimpy cats and corralled our pet rabbits when they got loose.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• They are cool enough but they have the most ear piercing screetching bark in the world. You can hear it a mile away lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I had one. We ended up giving him away. He was a wonderful dog, lots of energy, great with kids. But he became a huge barker when left home alone even with another dog and music left playing. Not sure if thats a breed problem or just him. But to save our neighbors sanity and not get kicked out of military housing he went to a breed rescue.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We had 2 growing up, one lived to 18 years the other to 16. One was skinny and hyperactive, very yappy when the doorbell rang and very protective. She was also super, super smart.

The other was very docile, round very loving and a great laps dog (well, he WAS kind of heavy but he was a good dog).

Both were great pets. My brother just went and got a schnoodle (?) Schnauzer/poodle mix because he liked them so much.

They don't shed much and I think they make great family pets.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't have one now but we had 2 growing up and they were wonderful dogs. Great around kids, very protective and territorial. Ours lived to be 17 years but they started going blind at 16. Both were calm as can be, matter of fact I use to play tea party with them and put large hats on their heads and sit around drinking tea and eating cookies.

The 1st day we had the dogs as puppies, one went a peed on my aunts legs and the other all in her purse. We laughed so hard and knew we chose the right dogs.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• neighbor has one...this thing barks and barks.but it also never goes for walks.i feel bad for her.when my dog (shepherd)is sitting there ears straight up.this dog is barking.he barks at everything.and ya a scretching bark...he is also got a nepoleon complex.hates big dogs..has attacked an akita mix and almost got eaten alive.i think its a very nice dog it just needs to be socialized...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009