Do you think some people use the term "homemaker" to loosely?

I know of a woman who likes to describe herself as a "devoted homemaker". She is young, has no children, and her husband is the only source of income in her home. Her house is always a complete mess (until her spouse comes home from work and washes dishes and laundry). She spends the majority of her time on her couch watching television and gossiping on-line and on the phone with her fellow "devoted homemakers". Her "free time" is usually filled with nail and hair appoinments, and other outlets for her love of spending her husband's hard-earned money. In my opinion, these are not the actions of a "homemaker". This is the lifestyle of a "housewife".

By definition, a homemaker is just that: a person who makes there house a home. Yet, in our society this term seems to be picked up by any woman who is married and unemployed. What are your thoughts on this subject?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never thought about it before.....but.....now that you mention it, I have to agree with you. I'm a homemaker........I guess that makes me a "Bree" and a housewife would be a "Gabby" LOL!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Who are Bree and Gabby?

shrugging

EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I do not know what word seperates the devoted sahm from the nail and hair and gym moms. Besides devoted or selfish homemakers.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• They are characters from "Desperate Housewives".......lol....thought it was pretty ironic and funny.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Jealous are we??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Were you calling my jealous? Of what?
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If that was directed at me, and you were suggesting that I am jealous of the afore mentioned lazy housewife....no, not in the least.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009