For those of you w.a tight budget, how do you afford christmas gifts?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You start early, very early. and craigslist.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Can we say "DOLLAR STORES"? LOL

Seriously, some of them have pretty cool little items.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• buy gifts for the ones you really like hehe jkn try drawing names for christmas and only buy gifts for the names you drew
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• start buying now! Ebay is great thrift stores are great!
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We save back a little bit, buy small gifts, Dollar Store, $1 section at Target, books are cheap and we only buy for our kids and don't buy for any adults (even each other). If we have any extra we give a little to my friends' kids.
    We did Christmas one year when we were really struggling and spent $50 on each of our 4 kids plus about $20 on stocking stuffer and odds and ends. So $220 in total for 4.
    That was one large gift (about $25 for each kid) and a few small ones. They actually got a lot that year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• either start your christmas shopping earlier in the year, or start saving for christmas around labor day. both are hard to do, but it's the best way to do it. also, with larger families drawing names is the best... or what our very large family does... all who want to participate buy a gift (usually a price range is agreed upon) and wrap it.. then draw numbers from a hat (however many participants) and one by one someone picks a gift, unwraps it... and then the next person to go can either choose to steal their gift or pick a new one. then the #1 person gets to choose from all the unwrapped gifts at the end since the never had a chance to steal... we always have a great time.. the gifts aren't always awesome, but it's always so much fun.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I've been adopted by another member on this website. She's owns a Christmas Wish group and I was her lucky adoptee, lol. There's also Toys for Tots, United Way, the Salvation Army, stuff like that. You have to dig and sometimes you have to give up a little dignity, but you can get Christmas done in the end.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My father's family holds a "Chinese Christmas" for the adults. Basically, every adult brings a gift (usually something that they would want). We each have a $20 maximum spending limit, and the items are usually household appliances, tools, candles, etc. The wrapped gifts are all piled together, and we number little slips of paper from 1 to however many gifts/people there are. Then, we each draw a number, and whoever has 1 picks a gift. They have to unwrap it and make sure everyone sees it. 2 then does the same thing, and here is where it gets fun. If 2 likes 1's gift better, 1 has to trade. It goes on like that until every gift is unwrapped, with each person having the option to trade with any previous opener. Finally, 1 gets the option to trade for any of the gifts, since they never got a chance to (everyone hopes to draw 1!). It gets pretty funny, especially since my Uncle Kevin always gets stuck with a girl gift!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We budget for it... isn't that the point of having a budget? Sure it's tight, but if you want something-- just squeeze it in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We have a Christmas Club Savings that we put into every month. And we add to it when we get our taxes back. Plus, I never stop shopping! I shop all year. As soon as Christmas is over, I go budget for the after Christmas sales. Things like tape, paper, and bows are at a cost of dimes! You can shop for things like stocking stuffers all year. We do toothbrushes and toothpaste, underwear, socks, etc. And I get them on sale with coupons around the start of school. End of season shopping for clothes. And I hold off for things like big toys closer to Christmas because I know their minds are always changing. They think mom starts shopping in October. So they start making the list then. When you plan ahead, so does your family! :)
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 11:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009