How has the economy affected you and your family? What do YOU think should be done about the economy?

Do you discuss it with your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes we do discuss it all the time. But my kids are grown.

Knock on wood.  The bad economy has not effected us. We just bought a house. And new car.

What to do about the economy. Stop giving money to these bank. give it to us the people that really need it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Bring factories back here for jobs. Encourage people to buy american. Stop straining small buisinesses with high taxes and ins requirements. They are the heart of america.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Nope and nope. We have lived pay check to pay check for a while now. I'm used to it. Thankfully DH has skills that are always needed. As for the kids they are too little to even begin to understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son knows more than I ever wanted him to know about it. Since my husband and I both work in media-related industries that have taken an ENORMOUS loss in ad dollars, we've both lost jobs and have really struggled over the past year and a half. Knocking on wood that his job interview today leads to a hire that will turn things around.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• As far as my family and myself we believe in the old fashion method I guess. I truly do not believe this "economy crisis" is as big as everyone is playing it up to be. I understand unemployment is at an all time high, but drive around... all the parking lots of the malls, restaurants, and fast food lines are booming. It's not the economy that is bad, it's the mindset of american culture. People are gorging themselves on what they think they deserve because they work so hard... but no one deserves to go into debt because of it.

When people start stepping up to responsibility for their decisions and actions then this "economy crisis" will be over.

The media is also playing it up to be a much bigger crisis and playing on people's emotions.

I hope I'm not being offensive, that is just how our family is. We are a family of 3 and chugging through our debt as we speak so we can "live like no one else" -Dave Ramsey
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "Bring factories back here for jobs. Encourage people to buy american."

Let's add to that tax breaks for companies that stay in the US, and penalties for those that export work off shore.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How has it affected me? We feel a little crunch but not too too much right now. We used to never worry about the $$ when going grocery shopping now we have too. We don't need for anything at all, but we don't get anything we "want". Which sucks b/c we both bust are tails at work ALL THE TIME... and don't get to have ne "fun".

What should be done? Government spending def. needs to get under control... They are spending and giving sooooo much money on b.s. and we don't even have it!! THEY need to STOP spending money WE don't have!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Thats a great idea gdiamante
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We just found out that my husband who has had a very secure job will be laid off at the end of Novemeber. Our income will go from about 6K per month to the max we will get from UE. Up until today it has not impacted our lives, now however, it is a huge impact. We did have a family meeting and discuss things with our children who are both teens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My daughters don't know there is a recession, I am teaching them to live responsibly, which means sometimes you say no to things you want, because it's not smart or wasteful to purchase them.

I like what gdiamante said for fixes, no need to expound.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009