Son had flu this weekend and now he is spitting up blood. What could be wrong with him?

I took him to the doctor friday and they determined that he had a virus. He is 15 years old and smokes, which I am not proud of. He has been spitting up small amounts of blood mixed with green mucus. I took him back to the doctor this afternoon and the doctor prescribed Codiene and A---miacine(antibiotic) 250 mg. They told him if he doesn't stop spitting up blood in a weeks time that they want to take x-rays. Could a fight with his friend have triggered something? His friend pinned him down and knuckle punched my son 4 times in the head. Could drugs be a possible cause. He may be smoking pot or God forbid something else.

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Health

• I know the blood (if it is only a little) could just be from bad coughing spells. My husband did that one time when he was sick. But I wouldn't be surprised if smoking has a big effect on that too! Hopefully it will be serious enough to scare your son to change his behavior but not too serious!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it could be that the coughing is loosening the nasty buildup on his lungs, thats why there is blood, or it could be he is sick and lungs are in trouble. take him to diff doc and ask for chest xrays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• had he been hit in the chest recently??
    i know someone who had broncitis and was couphing up blood. but we were also smoking alot of pot too.
    i d k ., mamma B.O.L.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Your son's friend punched him in the head? He has green mucus and spitting up blood and no x-ray because of a virus? I would get an x-ray.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2009