What are ways of telling if my son is doing drugs?

He is hanging out with some creepy looking kids, long haired, tattooed at 15 years of age, school interest has dropped, grades and behavior are poor. Relationship with his dad is tense and son doesn't like his dad. He lives with him. All the trouble he is getting in he isn't allowed to see me because I don't discipline him firmly, I have been to soft in the past. I want him to turn around. He has always been a great kid-all but the last 2 years.

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My honest answer would be to take him and have him tested. It is too important of an issue to take a guess at. Other than that it would be an odd smell on his clothes, I don't know if you know what pot smells like or not, if you don't find some dried sage to burn, it smells just the same. There are so many signs, depending on the drug. Dialated pupils, red/bloodshot eyes, moodswings, visine, little cans of airfreshener or Ozium, black plastic film canisters, the usual rolling papers, cigar wrappers, hemostats, resin on fingers, eating a lot, not eating, sleeping alot, not sleeping, straws cut in half, rolled up bills, all of the signs you mentioned, missing items that could've been traded or sold for drugs, suddenly listening to techno music, neon/black lights, going to "raves"....the list could go on and on.....some of this sounds wierd but I am speaking from experience, mine and other friends who have done drugs in the past.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would advise to get an at home drug test and test him, on the spot, when he gets home from being out with his friends. You can get immediate response test, or send away ones.

http://www.drugtestyourteen.com/order_products_here
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes it would be better for you to do the at home drug test, so you can decide what to do if he is on drugs. If you take him to the doctor they might have to call the police. A doctor is required by law to report any crimes they beleive have been commited.
    Check his pockets in all of his dirty clothing. Check his car if he has one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• before you go and get him tested and just really piss him off, look for lil signs. does he smell? most kids start off with marijuana and it stinks so youd notice it. look for red or glossy eyes. stumbling, ramboling, uncountrolable laughter, unsually happy. and just because he is hanging out with a in your words" bad group of people" does not mean he is doinf drugs. remember he is a teenager, they are goingt ogo threw things. dont you remember when you were young?
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• "creepy looking kids, long haired, tattooed at 15 years of age"

I just want to say out that most teens dress this way to make a statement or get attention they feel they are lacking. My BFF back in HS used to chave half her head; wear combat boots and saftey pins everywhere; rainbow colored stripes in her hair; but she was a 'good' kid; her grades were awesome; but they never were; she went to Church with her family; VBS; never in any 'major' trouble and not a drug user. She just wanted people to "look past the cover" and find out who she was inside; she was just trying to make a point...

I agree if your son's behavior has drastically changed it's smart of you to consider this; but don't jump to conclusions just because of how they look....thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Before you accuse or ask him if he's doing drugs keep in mind he IS 15ish and going thru changes. I use to be very stereotypical of the punk rocker skateboarder types until my own little brother became one. He often sported multi colored hair, tight jeans, skate shoes, crazy wild hair, studded belts, but NEVER did a drug in his life; but he did have a problem with authority. I asked why he dressed like that and he said it was about being "different" and not blending in in a crowd. That's the typical rebellious age. I say before anything is asked keep close tabs on him. Ask where's he going, who's he going with, how long, parents involved? When he comes home with bloodshot eyes, laughing and munching on a bag of Cheetos, then I would question and search his room. You can tell a lot by the music he listens to. Windy listed majority of the signs of drugs so I won't repeat them.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• *wow - typo!!*

IDK what 'chave' is - it should say shave ^^^ - lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• SO you have a bad relationship with him, and you want to start making him take drug tests for no reason? Yeah, that will make things better.
    He sounds like a normal teenager.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• smell his hands and/breath/clothes. Teenagers don't think to wash their hands or brush their teeth after they smoke ciggarettes or pot. You will be able to smell the smoky-ness, or the weird resin smell from marijuana, if he is smoking that. You can also make him take a drug test, but this doesn't fare well w/ some teens.

If he is getting high, he will have the munchies...he will eat incredible amounts of food, his eyes will be blood shot & he will be incredibally thirsty. He will also become incredibally lazy. Pot heads have no initiative. These are signs to look out for. Other drugs can be harder to detect, because not all last very long. XTC only lasts about 4 hours, cocain lasts even shorter, if he was tripping on acid or shrooms, he will be laughing a lot & behaving oddly. Just look for the signs.

http://www.aadac.com/565_522.asp

here's a link w/ more info
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I agree with mommy2layla08.
    Don't jump to conclusions. I also don't think you should just go make him do a drug test. Talk to your teen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009