i am 8 months pregnant and i am nervous and cant decide if i am going to get the swine flue vaccine. i would love it if i could get peoples opinion and also why. thanks

dani263

Asked by dani263 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Health

• I would not go near the swine flu vaccine with a 10 foot pole. It hasn't been tested enough yet!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• for the record the swine flu, its just a flu. I know as I just had it lol. It got hyped up due to the media and its not anymore dangerous that the run of the mill flu we all get sometimes. Thats truly all it is. If it were me, I would not get the vax because it protects u against certain types and thats it, you can still get something else. Plus the live virus can be dangerous in itself, can cause illness i you and the baby while if you dont get the vax-you may never get it at all!
    thants just my 2 cents hon. good luck, just remember its a flu, not anything like they hyped it, not gonna kill you or hurt baby.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• if your doc says it's ok, go ahead. im going to ask mine about the flu shot tomorrow.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My doctor said all prego women should get the flu and swine flu shots because if you caught either of them it would be way more risky for you and your baby than a non-pregnant person. Also the regular flu vaccine is different every year. So it hasn't been tested any more. The chances of having a reaction to the vaccine are far less than getting severely ill or dying from the flu/swine flu. Personally I'd get the vaccine. But talk to your doc first so you know all the info possible and will feel more comfortable.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• The vaccine can cause high fevers in pregnant women that can kill their babies. I wouldn't get it if I were you.
    Summersmom360

Answer by Summersmom360 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• at 8 months.. i wouldn't get it.. but t hat's me..talk to your doctor, consult everyone you can.. read both sides
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• more than 500 americans have died of the swine flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The infection and death rates for H1N1 are within the range of other flu viruses. If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury.
    As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this: With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves? According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2009