Can I get good vibes and ideas please? Lay off coming for 200 people

Our income is going to be cut by more than 3/4ths per months. I just need ideas and etc to help us as we get ready to have a huge reduction in income. We know we will have the max unemployment per week however that will only cover about 1/3 of our bills. Any advice and ideas are welcome. Thanks os much and blessings and good vibes all directions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Go through, right now, and find out where you can save money. Cut your cable, your cell phone bills, reshop everything. If you've signed a contract with a company, be honest with them, and they may pair you with a smaller package and not charge a term fee. Check out your solid assets and liquidate what you don't love for cash on hand.

Review your food budget. I could talk about this for hours, so feel free to pm for ideas.

You have my prayers, and be thankful you got some notice.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• try hubpages and adsense -with
    4artistsmom

Answer by 4artistsmom at 10:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• apply for foodstamps you'll probably qualify and you can use them to get the food you need while using your other monies for the rent and bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• look into what you can do from home for yourself or your hubby. Perhaps baby sitting or cleaning houses or buying and selling things. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You gals are awesome! I heart you all. -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Was there any retirement funds with this job? If so cash them in. See if your local unemployment office is going to be doing any services with those that are getting laid off. Call them and see if they have any programs for dislocated workers. We just experienced my husband getting laid off last week. It was quite a shock. Luckily we are okay for the next year or so, but for his sanity I am hoping he gets back to work soon. If you need someone to talk to feel free to send me a message.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have no advice but you are in my prayers...we are in a similar situation but we are probably going to have to move in with family cause I am not sure how rent is going to happen!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Cut out everything that you dont need to survive. You may want it, but do you need it to live?
    See if you can get new bundling packages from the cable, phone, internet company if your DH refuses to let go of that. Some times if you explain whats going on and they know its that or your shutting it off they will come up with a good deal. Just make sure when that deal is up (cause the price goes up) you call and do it again. They would rather have u as a customer than not at all. I do not have a house phone either. I never used it!
    To save with $ check your food everyday. If something is about to go bad, freeze it. Like I have a bell pepper that I forgot about, i noticed it probally only had about 3 days left on it. Also found 4 ears of corn with the same time (about). I chopped up the bellpepper and stuck it in a small freezer bag. i put the corn on the cob in a freezer bag too . Make sure its a freezer bag though. yeah it
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 5:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• probally only saved me $2 but I do this every week with something, and overtime it saves. Throwing away food is throwing away $. Cut down on cleaners by making your own or using a multi surface, etc. there is many frugal mom groups here and if u google it you will find many places on the web. Mommysavers, frugalmom.net etc. It can be done! Live carefully and more simply and I am sure you will be fine. :)
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 5:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Go through your kids old clothes and find things that could be resold at a consignment shop. They will usually give you a choice between taking the money (which is roughly half of what they sell things for), or you can use the credit to buy larger sizes for your kids as they grow, and some shops will give you an additional discount (like 10%) off of your purchase if you use your credit in their store.

Get recipes to make household cleaners yourself and that can save you a bundle as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009