Can you report a car seat violation?

I work in the drive thru at a McDonald's and consistently see children improperly harnessed. I don't ERF so I'm not talking about that, but when children are not buckled in at all and running around the car. Or have the straps unbuckled or worn the wrong way. I see babies who are rear faced in the front seat, which the manual for the car clearly states that is not to be done. Especially when there is room in the back seat, which there was in one case.
Or the worst was today when I saw a little girl who had to be only about 1 years old with no car seat at all. Then 2 cars later, a little boy around 2 years old with no car seat.
So, I took the license plate number but my boss said not to call the cops because they wouldn't do anything. Would they? What is my responsibility has a citizen? What should I do next time?

coutterhill

Asked by coutterhill at 11:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, they won't do anything. Car sear violations are considered traffic violations. It would be like if you called the police because someone wasn't wearing a seat belt. If the police don't catch them in the act, they can't prosicute.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Mind your own business and do your damn job. You're a burger flipper, not a cop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What the hell is your problem ANON? I don't flip burgers, I take people's money. What does my job have to do with anything?
    So sorry, If I'm worried about children being improperly harnessed in cars. I don't want them flying through windshields when their stupid parents get into a wreck.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Down here in mississippi they do... I have the local police station dispatcher already saved in my phone and when i see a child not properly restrained I will follow them while telling the dispatcher the vehicles location until a cop gets them... I have done this a few times...it has to be something major though... like this newborn baby not strapped into the infant carrier that was forward faced in the front seat of a new mustang and the mother was driving like an idiot... or this one car had like 2 kids under the age of 1 crawling around the back seat and hanging out the window! The cops will do something about that, and if anything, atleast you know you tried.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i would be pissed as hell if someone called the cops on me for something like that- now I understand the whole jumping around the car and all of that nonsense but I have 4 kids 5.5, 4, 2, and 3 months and my fiance has a 14 yr old daughter and a 19 yr old son who isn't living with us anymore so i wont count him, but anyway- we only have one car (we haven't been able to afford a bigger vehicle yet) so when we have to go somewhere we have to do it however we can which means my 3 month old in the rear facing carseat and the 2 yr old in my lap buckled in with me (in the backseat of course) and my 4 and 5 yr old are in the same seat buckled in in the other side of the car and my stepdaughter is in the fron passenger seat- thats the only way we can make it work and so thats what we do! If fomeone in a mcdonalds was to call and report me on that I would probably have a talk with the manager about that person- I mean- you dont know
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• the situation- i mean- the person with the 1 yr old might have forgotten to take the carseat out of the hubbys car that morning but knowing she really had to go somewhere she had to just make do- you dont know so you need to mind your own business- that is as long as the kids arent hanging out of the windows or anything wreally dangerous like that
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Auntiemom, it would be hilarious to see a cop pull you over and ticket you foor talking on your cell phone while driving one day while you are trying to rat some poor family out for no carseats...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• sorry lovely, here they would pull you over for a citation, and call cps to investigate. Cout, we did on occasion try and call the cops when I worked fast food and sometimes they cared, sometimes they didn't. But one one officer told us was that they have to wait till they pull back onto the street as some people unbuckle their kids in the parking lot to move around a little and its private property so they can, its not till they are on the street that its illegal. The drunks were way more fun to get.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I irks me to see kids unbuckled to so I see you point. At the same time my 5 year old always unbuckles at the drive through and re buckles before I will get back on road. I dunno why he does it...Bit it's not worth the fight when I know he will buckle right back p wen I tell him it's time. The no car-seat at all is crazy! Here you can get puled over and sited for no car-seat, no seat-belt, or doubling up in the seat-belt. I guess the laws depend on the state and county. My mother got pulled over once for pulling out of a Krystal with no seat-belt on. That's it. the cop was sitting there watching people exiting the restaurant for seat-belts. I don't know if calling would do any good at all but if you want to try do so. If it works great if not you have made yourself fell better. My husband called the cops once for a lady breastfeeding in the passenger seat! They took the plate number but I dunno what they did with it
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I can't just "make do" when it comes to my child's safety, I guess others are willing to risk their child's life.
    So, I guess there is nothing I can do next time. But if we all minded our own business, how to we expect our children to be safe and live in a productive society?
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009