I am just wondering...

My son is 6 months old..and has outgrown his infant carseat. He weighs 22lbs and is 28 1/2 inches. Now graco makes a infant carseat that goes upto 32lbs and 32 inches. Should I buy a new carseat. or a bigone? Hes ped says to keep him a infant seat until 1.? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would buy a car seat that was for babies 5-40 lbs. And continue to rear face him.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Buy him a convertible seat and keep him rear facing (that is what your Ped is telling you). A convertible seat is made for this purpose and will last you a lot longer. Definitely more bang for your buck.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well the ped told us to keep him in a infant carseat ( not the big one) until at least 10 months... Cause with my daughter, we bought her big seat when she was 9 months, and rear faced until 15 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would get a convertible seat... not another infant carrier. If you like Graco seats a great choice would be the MyRide 65

Other choices (and I would stick to these because there are a lot of junk seats on the market)
    Cosco Scenera
    Evenflo Triumph Advance
    First Years True Fit
    And of the Britax Convertibles
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Once he's outgrown the infant seat, it's just as bad as not having him in any seat at all. They only work when used properly and that means the weights too. Get a convertible.

Sometimes you CANNOT listen to your doc. I'm used to that in the feeding arena but in carseats? Sheesh.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You can get a convertible, which you can generally keep rear facing up to 35 (or more) lbs. The longer you can keep him rear facing, the better for him. The law says at least 1 year old, but nothing says you have to turn him around at that point.
    Personally, safety is one area I will spend money. We got a Recaro Como, and Recaro is in line with Britax. Both are top of the line car seats, and very, very safe. They also will go up pretty high in weight restrictions, meaning you won't need to get another car seat a few years from now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:10 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I made the mistake with DD of buying an infant seat, then adding to the expense by purchasing a convertable seat at one year. I didn't realize looking through the consumer reports that her Britax convertable seat would have been ideal from birth to 45 pounds as it was listed as a second stage seat. If your baby is outweighing the carrier style car seat, then you need to upgrade..regardless of age so that you know he is safe, just like you don't move an infant to a larger seat based only on age. I have heard a ton about Extended rear facing since joining cafe mom...and it is something you should research so you can decide what is best for your baby. I wish you luck, and I urge you to start shopping an decide on a new seat for baby as soon as possible.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 8:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It might be that your doctor does not know that there are seats besides infant seats that rear face. I would not spend the money on another infant seat, but buy a convertible, preferably one that RF to 35 and FF to at least 65lbs. Then I'd keep my son RF as long as the seat allowed. Let him know that you got him a convertible seat that RF to FF, and that your son IS still RF in it. No reason for another carrier at this point, unless YOU really WANT it. I know it's hard to hear this, but there are a few things that your pedi probably does not know much about, and carseats are usually one of those things. For advice on carseats, seek out a CPST. There's a saying: "Asking a doctor about carseats is like asking the butcher about broccoli." Unless you pedi is also trained in car seats, he's just giving you the advice HE thinks is best.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i have never heard anyone saying infant carseat till one, however perhaps you miss interpretaded the word infant, perhaps he means backwards. as in infant carseats are always backwards in the car, toddlers are frontfacing. mkost if not all read facing carseats are called infant. i wouldnt waste your money =. Buy a convertable one. they go from birth to 100 lbs, i know alot of places that have them under 100 bucks,. at 35 lbs you can turn it around to be a toddler carseat. thats what i have for my daughter and it works great. she has her head and body support and there is nothing bouncing around. perhapa you should talk to your ped again and bring it up.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Mommy2Layla: I'm going to jump in and be the first person you've heard of to have their child in an infant seat PAST 1 year old :) My son was, and still is very petite. At 1 year old, he was still under the weight and height limit for his infant seat, and the weight limit was only 22 lbs!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009