Can I get pregnant if I EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFEED?

My baby is 8months old , I gave birth in January got my regular period in February and haven't seen it ever since, I've done several pregnancy test and they all come out negative. Also from time to time I feel funny, could I be prego?

NAVYJJD7

Asked by NAVYJJD7 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes you could be pregnant. Just because you haven't "had" a period, doesn't mean you haven't ovulated. How ever if you have tested and its negative, you're probably not pregnant.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes, you can get pregnant if you exclusively breastfeed. There is something called the Lactational Ammenorrhea Method of birth control which states that a woman is unlikely to become pg in the first six months of bf'ing provided she bf's exclusively, does not offer solids or bottles or pacifiers, and has not had a period yet. Even by virtue of your baby's age, you are outside the 'protection' of this method. So yes, you could ovulate and become pregnant at any point. That being said, bf'ing can mess up periods for a LONG time- I didnt' have a period until one of my babies was almost a year old. If your tests are negative you are likely not ovulating regularly due to bf'ing rather than being pg at this point in time. However you COULD get pg... it just takes one egg and one sperm. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes, you can get pregnant. We got baby number 2 that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yeppers!!!!
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 11:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• yep my sil had a baby and was ONLY breastfeeding and the first day her and her husband were allowed to have sex she got pregnant. and not just with one WITH TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• absolutely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• yes that is what happened to me with #3 and i took 2 p/g tests both where neg and when i was 5 months i went in and was p/g and 5 months along.
    AJSCASJMSmom

Answer by AJSCASJMSmom at 11:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You sure can - some people will say you can't, but heck yes you can! If you're having sex, you can get pregnant. EBF and not getting a period doesn't mean you don't ovulate - you still do, therefore you can get pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yup
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You can get pregnant, but chances are that bleeding in February wasn't actually a period. I know I had some bleeding after my lochia stopped because I was doing too much. My cycles didn't actually start again until my daughter was 11 months old. What really helped calm my fears about getting pregnant while EBF was charting my temps and cervical changes to check for ovulation. The chances of getting pregnant while ecologically breastfeeding are slim, but it's still possible. If you're concerned, check out natural family planning and the lactational amennorhea method. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009