Multi - Religious Holidays...

I am a very open and proud Pagan. My DH is Christian. We decided long ago not to teach our children religion. WE just don't feel it's something that can be taught, but something that must be found. SO, we are keeping religion out of their lives as much as possible. I do my rituals and meditation out of their sight and he doesn't preach (although he's not that kind anyways). But, we want to start celebrating the holidays, which we have never done before (they were never a big thing for us, usually we just worked those days). So, we are wanting to find good ways to combine them. I will only be putting up decorations that go with BOTH belief systems and we will serve foods for those meals from both as well... So, I am looking for tips and tricks to do just that. Decorations, meals, stories and anything else that could help us to combine for the holidays...

Any sugestions are welcome!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know what both sides would be a compromise exactly. But I wonder if you could celebrate big for halloween and christmas?Maybe someone will have some better ideas for you. Perhaps read christmas story and then read apagan story. I don't know it may be quite confusing. I wish you luck though and am glad that you can live peacefully with hubby believing differently. You must really love each other.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Sabrina, Halloween/Samhain is easy with out bringing in your religious beliefs... it's a night of dressing up and fun for the children... as you said neither you or your dh practice infront of them, so they will not know of it's meaning to you and what others may think of it...
    As for Christmas, it's become so commericalized over the decades that no matter how or what you put up as a decoration the meaning is most often over looked...
    I am Pagan and my Dh is also Christian and I put up something from not only both religions, but from many cultures too... many have different veiws on Christmas and since I also celebrate Yule, that is also incorprated into the themes....
    When a question is brought up from our gs regarding something, it is answered 3 different ways, my beliefs, dh's beliefs and circluar or the commericalized version...
    Just have fun with them and the family that to me is the most important part...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yeah - Samhain/Halloween is super easy to deal with. But I was really looking for Yule/Christmas tips. I know that almost anything we use for decoration can be used for both. Tree, Nativity, even Santa... But what about traditional dinners and stroies?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I am not religious ..my partner is Wiccan. We celebrate Halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc ..in a non-religious way. I guess we do it the commercialized way ...but make sure we spend it with friends and family and have a good time. I'm also leaving religion up to my daughter. Whatever she chooses is her up to her and it's her right :) She knows as much as a 10 year old would know about different religions and Holidays.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We have celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas Eve and really everything we do on Christmas is commercial. The tree, the gifts the meal is what we like not religious or anything. We celebrate the epiphany in January, of course that is all about religion. But for Christmas just do you own thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I read a book several years ago called Winter Solstice: the Sacred Traditions of Christmas. As I remember it, it tied the holidays together well & included a lot of stories, crafts, etc. It might be useful in this situation.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, most of the holidays line up. Samhain/ Day of the Dead, winter solstice and Christmas, Ostara and Easter, etc. teaching them about how the holidays line up for a reason, how they are related, what traditions are shared-- they'll get a pretty good understanding of how things work.

The solstice celebration of the light beginning to overcome darkness- Christ is the light who casts out sin who arrives at Christmas
    Easter is the resurrection, spring equinox is the rebirth of the world

Have fun!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009