How do you know when outbursts are something serious?

My son (4 yrs old) is usually a very happy, goofy, bright child. He has outbursts. When presented with something new, he usually refuses. And by refuse, I mean scream/cry instant huge reaction. It doesn't last long, but it's very desturbing. He does have times where he's said he can't stop crying. If that happens, we have "breathing time" where he can sit by himself until he calms down. They aren't time outs....they're time alone for a bit. He doesn't do well with separation even in familiar settings. I just got a note home from preschool saying he won't do any new activities and usually cries/screams when asked to. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk to your doctor about it. The doctor, or even the teacher, but def the doc should know what is normal or those are warning signs for something. I hope everything is okay, and your little boy comes around to knew things.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's past time to seek the opinion of a developmental pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My 3 yr old son is the same way, he has Asperger's Syndrome, Hes Super Smart, But panics when asked to do somthing that is not an everyday thing for him. i can not put my son in daycare, he is bored with the activities of normal 3 yr olds, he would much rather play alone or with 5-6yr old kids rather then with kids his own age. ask your doctor about Asperger's Syndrome, this sound about how my son acted when we were told he had this. its not a totally bad thing!! this is also known as "Einstein Syndrome"
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 11:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2009