Will our chosen religion prevent us from adopting a child?

My husband and I have been thinking of adopting for some time. We probably have a few more years before we begin any kind of process, but we are already researching. In researching, however, we have found a concern.

The majority of the foundations and agencies we have found are religiously affiliated. More specifically, they are Christian organizations. We follow Buddhist teachings, and are concerned that these organizations would discriminate against us. It is unthinkable to believe they would deny a child a good home because of the religion they would be raised knowing, but I am sure it is not unheard of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Adoption

• You won't be able to adopt through agencies that have a requirement that you be Christian (or any religion other than your own), but that shouldn't prevent you from adopting. You may just have to look a little longer to decide who you will work with. You still have both the public (fost-adopt) and private (agencies, facilitators) sectors as options. You also don't have to stay within your state lines, but it gets more complicated with other states because you may have to stay a few weeks before you can bring your child home.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My parents actually dropped out of the Catholic adoption agency process because they didn't like the agency's requirements...and they WERE Catholic!

It would not be out of line for any of these agencies to deny you because of your religion. And it would not be illegal; private agencies can set their own rules.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It may not be the agency that may discriminate, it may be the potential bmom that has to select you. Religion is often a question that is asked. Do you go to a Temple, if so, maybe they have some advice for you on who can help you adopt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• There may be specific agencies out there that only want to deal with PAParents of a certain religion, but I wouldn't think you'd get discriminated against by the agencies who don't care what religion you are...which I could just assume would be the larger percentage. After that, it would more be the PBParents who would decide if your religion plays a part on if they would want to choose you or not.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Places like Catholic Social Services CAN discriminate against you. HOwever, state or government run social service agencies cannot discriminate based on religion. If you are trying to adopt a newborn, the birth mothers may discriminate against you.

adoptuskids.org
    davethomasfoundation.org
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes, the Catholic Charities CAN discriminate against you. They are private and can set their guidelines to their choosing. They are hoping to convert as many to Christianity as possible, so part of their mission is to place children in a Christian home. I think they do so much good around the world, it is hard to judge them. As stated in other posts, there are a number of non-religious adoption organizations, however to my knowledge they are not as well regarded as the Catholic Charities.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If you go through an open adoption agency where the birth mom picks the parents it shouldnt affect it. But if you go through a strictly christian one I could see them denying you.
    shymom24

Answer by shymom24 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP, it is illegal, for any one person, business or otherwise...even in religion, to discriminate, based on race, religion, and age. However at every second of the day, this does indeed take place. One can litigate if one can prove, factually in a court of law, that they indeed have been discriminated against. As for religious organizations, they may be 'private" or "not for profit', but they are still bound by the laws. Yet if one looks closely, ask those whom have been violated by a priest, and they may beg to differ with you, on how the 'laws' do indeed apply! Sad, but happens every day..all the time. These are MY opinions, and not the views of some others, Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Not all agencies are affliliated with a particular faith but I'd avoid those that are given your situation (my husband and I ran into similar issues as he's Jewish and I'm Catholic). I agree with the other posters that birthmom's may be more of an issue, at least domestically. However, you might choose to adopt a child from a race where your faith is more common (yes, I'm admittedly ignorant on the specifics here) if you adopted domestically or look into international adoptions from countries where it's a common faith. Nothing in the domestic adoption process says that you have to state your religious views (again, assuming you choose an unaffiliated agency) so you could also choose to downplay it in your profile. I'm not suggesting you hide it, since it is a part of who you are but the emphasis you give it may affect who will choose you in either a positie or negative way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I am 40 years old and Iam adopted.My family is catholic and catholic chartities would not let my parents adopt because they did not make enough money. It is better sometimes to go through the county based adoptions. My parents were able to raise me and I never wanted for anything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009