Why isn't he sleeping at night?

For the last few nights my 8 month old ds WILL NOT sleep at night. It isn't that he won't sleep through the night, he won't sleep at all! He screams if I put him in his crib, he won't nurse to sleep and if he is in bed with us he just wants to play. Even if I nurse him or walk with him he cries. He is wide awake.

He has done this a night here or there in the past and after 4 hours or so I took him downstairs and let him play. It kinda rebooted him and then he nursed and went to sleep. It isn't working now.

Last night I fought with him trying to get him to sleep for 4 hours, then we went downstairs. I tried to lay down with him after 2 hours downstairs, but he just screamed like he was in pain. But I don't think he is sick or anything because he is fine the rest of the time.

I just got the thought that maybe he has developed a fear of the dark. I put a light in his room.
Any other ideas?

jdanielle82

Asked by jdanielle82 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He could be teething. Play time provides a distraction from the discomfort of teeth pressing on the gums and cutting through tissue. Bedtime is quiet time so he's probably much more aware of the pain than when he's playing. He probably associates bed time with sore gums and pain and, as such, doesn't want to go to sleep. Have you tried using any kind of topical oral anastaetic to numb his gums?

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• He just broke 2 teeth, but I still thought this may be a possibility. Last night I gave him tylenol and 2 teething tabs, but it didn't seem to help. Of course I don't feel what he feels so I don't know for sure, but he still seemed miserable.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm sure I'll probably get bashed for saying this but it might help to dip a q-tip into some whiskey or vodka and rub it on his gums. It's not nearly enough alcohol to pickle him but it does provide much more relief than Anbesol or Orajel. Just don't tell anyone else that you've done it or you'll get an earful 'bout turning your kid into an alcoholic. *** eye roll*** 8~)

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• LOL. I can't say I've ever seen a drunk baby!
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Maybe a shot would put him out. JUST KIDDING! If I wasn't nursing, I think I would do a couple shots to get me through the night.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• LOL!!! I think about that all the time. I joke with DH that when she starts cutting teeth, I'm just going to down a 6 pack right before she eats so she can sleep like a baby! :) ~
    ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my daughter did this but we found out that bc we were so tired after the first night, that i let her take longer naps in the day, so i could too, and i paid for it later. try as hard as it will be to not take longer then a 15-20 min nap during the day so come bed time hes exhauted. it worked for us even tho she was miserable for the day lol but i full night of sleep is well worth it.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009