If a word in a dictionary is misspelled, how would you know?

This is for all those grammar police out there. lol

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• confused

mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I guess it would depend on the word.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• LMFAO... Seriously? You're kidding, right? Hmmmm.. 1. Common sense, 2. There is more than one brand of dictionary out there. I doubt it would be spelled wrong in all of them! 3. THE INTERNET!!! Seriously, the ignorance astonishes me.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I found misspelled words in a book when I was younger. I told my teacher and she wrote a letter to the publishing company. Would you believe they made out a new edition of the book?But now with today's technology a proofreaders job is obsolete. Only to speed read to make sure for accuracy.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Do you realize how few people use the book of dictionaries anymore?
    My daughter kept asking me how to spell words (she's in the 10th grade this year) so I finally told her to look in the dictionary I have next to my desk (I use it all the time).
    She had no clue how to use it and then asked how was she supposed to look up a word to spell it correctly if she doesn't know how to spell it in the first place? I told her to sound it out. I spent almost an hour with her teaching her how to use a darn dictionary!
    Anyhow, if a word comes up spelled incorrectly in the book, then when you type it in Word, the spell check will pick it up and you can correct it that way.
    No wonder so many people do not know how to spell!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009