How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop hitting, kicking, and throwing things at me?

Time out is not working for me in this situation. He laughs at me!

hollyvoss

Asked by hollyvoss at 12:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, one good method is to try to stop it before it happens. We can usually anticipate when children are going to use their anger that way. If he tries to hit you, grab his arm. if you think he's going to kick you step away.
    Another thing is, you need to give him an alternative. I'm guessing that he hits you when he gets mad? Well, now is a good time to start teaching him coping skills. Such as deep breathing and counting to 10, optional time outs and using big boy words. It takes a lot of patience to teach him these things. But when you start to see that he is begining to get mad say "Sometimes when i get really angry i take a few deep breathes and it helps calm me down. Take a deep breath like this" and then demonstrate.
    Also, instead of timeout put him in his room, where he is away from you. It's okay to say "I dont want to be near you if you are going to hurt me".

GL!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Put him in the corner and ignore him when he tries to talk to you or whine. Or you could send him to his room. Every time he does something do it. Also as far as the throwing things goes. Tell him that if he throws his toys (or whatever it is) that you will throw it in the trash because he is disrespecting you and his toys so he doesn't need them. My son was throwing toys when he'd get mad (not at me, but it was still not good) and I did that. It only took once and after that he threw one more and as soon as it left his hand he was like"I'm sorry I'm sorry" and ran to pick it back up. That was the last time he ever done it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, I am not sure if this will work but my son is a HUGE whiner. He knows how to talk at 22 months, well good enough that he CAN tell me what he wants or what's bugging him but he usually whines instead, after going through a full year of colic and whining so much I am DONE, when he starts whining and can't use his words, he goes in his room PERIOD.. He can come out when he's done
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2009