For anyone who has treid castor oil to induce labor...is vegtable oil the same thing?

does vegtable oil do the same thing? LMAO i sent my hubby to the store and he said he couldnt find castor oil but vegtable oil was the same thing...
lol nnneee wwhhhoo i dont know if i wanna do this or not but for those of you who have tried it did it work or just make you go to the bathroom and get sick?... lol
how much of it did you take? and if it did work how long after did you go into labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it is not the same thing. How far along are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I didnt think so LOL im 40 wks and 3 days btw sorry lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• An-11:35 here again... When I was preggo with my second I was desperate, I saw this video on youtube, of this girl who drinks it, watch it if you get a second, it's pretty funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZHkmjUZs3E

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No, not even close. I would not recommend using castor oil. It won't induce labor unless you're body is already ready to be in labor but it will clean out your entire intestinal tract. My labor had stalled after several hours and my midwife gave me a castor oil shake (2 ounces of castor oil to 6 ounces of milkshake) to help get things moving along again. I can tell you that the pain from all of the bowel movements was the most agonizing part of my completely natural, drug-free delivery. I remember being on the toilet with my husband down in front of me for support, crying my eyes out because every time my bowels contracted, so did my uterus, in unison with my bowels, making every contraction a million times worse than it ever would have been on it's own. Again, I was already in labor when I took it, so I did not use it to induce, and it would not recommend it to anyone unless they absolutely needed it. Good luck mama
    ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If you want to try and help things along, you could try an acupuncture induction. Many health insurance plans cover acupuncture these days and, if nothing else, it's very relaxing.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• maybe try pressure points like reflexology stuff. I'm thinking any oil you down is just gonna induce the angry shits. Not fun. ofcourse you can walk and walk and walk I've heard of that working but never castor oil.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• castor oil is usually found in the pharmacy/medicine aisles...I know cause i stood there staring at the bottle for 30 mins when I was 39 weeks preg with #3 lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no its not the same thing. castor oil is a laxative and would be in the pharmacy area. anyways, the castor oil doesnt induce labor. I tried it and ended up on the toilet all night, and no baby for another week. if the baby's not ready, castor oil wont do the trick. try walking
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP here. well i was just thinking about the castor oil thing.. i figured if it doesnt work atleast it will help out with the mean constipation LOL im still debating on it though... for the 3 weeks i have been walking anywhere from a half a mile to a mile and a half every day.. sex everyday ( we both agree its starting to feel like a chore.. lol so we're kinda stopping with the sex thing..) and like a whole bowl of fresh pineapple a day.. and noothin.. mt dr said "just keep walking just keep walking" i havnt asked her about the castor oil thing yet so thats another reason why im iffy about trying that... lol it just seems like NOOOTTHHHINNG is gonna work but i think friday she might just strip my membranes..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It absolutely disgusts me the lengths women will go to to get their perfectly healthy and normal baby out of them. Why dont you try being patient and let the baby come on his own terms, they usually do that you know. I dont know anyone who was pregnant forever, I promise. 40 weeks is NOT an expiration date. Barring a medical emergency, inductions are pointless and can be VERY harmful to both mother and child if one or the other is not ready. Even NATURAL inductions like castor oil can be harmful because if it does work you are at risk of becoming dehydrated which is NOT good for anyone about to do some strenuous labor (which, pushing a baby out IS strenuous)
    I hope you think long and hard about it before you do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009