is it bad foe baby to sleep on there belly

my son is 3 months old and he loves to sleep on his belly he seems to sleep better that way is it bad for him to sleep on his belly or does he need to be sleeping on his back... also i have read that sleeping on there belly is bad for causing sid is that true???? some say it is others say no it's not

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 12:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes the experts say sleeping on the belly can contribute to SIDS. However I have a belly sleeper. She slept better on her bally than her back. Am I a bad mom for letting her? I don't think so she is still alive today. It's a risk you just have to take.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It increases the chances of baby getting SIDS by a lot. I never let mine because I was so afraid of it. I know some people let their baby do it, but it actually is proven that keeping baby sleeping on their back decreases the chance of them getting SIDS dramatically.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It is recommended that babies sleep on their back because of sids risk. Some babies sleep better on their tummy. I let my newborn ap on my her belly while she sleeps on my chest. When it is time to go to bed I lay her on her back/
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 12:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Mine likes it on her belly too...It freaked me out so I would either let her sleep on her belly on my chest or I actually bought one of those wedges for her bassinet and would put her on her side and that worked really well!
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Placing your baby to sleep on his back will GREATLY reduce his risk of SIDS. My son always seemed to want to sleep on his tummy too. I think he felt safer. I swaddled him when this became an issue. If you absolutely can't put him on his back, at least make sure there is nothing unnecessary in the crib with him. No blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc. This will also reduce the risk. BTW, it won't be long before he is rolling over. My pedi said that if he can roll himself from his back onto his belly, I don't need to worry about it. At that point he has enough control to lift his head and protect himself from asphyxiation.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Respectfully, it is not a "risk you have to take". You will decide what is best for your baby, but just because one baby lived through it doesn't make it safe. That's like saying that a kid that ran around unsupervised by a pool didn't die, so kids don't need to be supervised near water. Babies can die from SIDS on their backs, too, but it is much less likely. Also, I have seen some convincing research that cosleeping can reduce the risk of SIDS. Maybe if he does need to be on his back, you could have him sleep near you. There is evidence that when baby sleeps near mom, their breathing patterns synchronize, and the baby is less likely to die from SIDS. Good luck, especially if you have a stubborn belly sleeper (like mine) and you decide to make the change!
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my baby is 3 months old too, and he also loves sleeping on his belly...
    but the doctor doesn't recommend it. I put him on his side now
    babYmaMa061809

Answer by babYmaMa061809 at 1:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I think more mommies let their babies sleep on their bellies than want to admit it. We tried and tried to get our son to sleep on his back, and he flat out refused from day one. He's a happy little tummy sleeper. Once they can hold their heads up, the SIDS risk goes way down (usually by 4 months). Just try to keep the soft stuff (blankets, pillows, bumpers, stuffed animals) out of her crib/sleep environment, to keep the risk down.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• "It's a risk you just have to take."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Nobody in their right mind should use that line when talking about their own infant, when being serious!

SIDS = sudden infant DEATH syndrom.

Okay. So yeah, belly sleeping may be fine for some, but really? For it to be a choice because YOU get more rest... there's something wrong.

Belly sleeping is a choice, I'm not knocking that whatsoever.

But I swear I hope I NEVER meet a mom who is using "it's a risk you just have to take" when speaking of ANY child's safety. Especially when it's dealing with an issue that has to do with the possibility of upping a child'd chances of death. SIMPLY FOR YOUR OWN CONVENIENCE OF SLEEP.

Wtf is wrong with you?
    VonWiggles

Answer by VonWiggles at 2:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you know they say it is not safe and I know SIDS risks have gone down, but seriously they will never know the safest way. It used to be tummy, then when I had my DD in 2000 they recommended side or back. Now its just back. I still put my babies on their side. they spit up alot and that made me feel better, and the Dr's were fine with it

Im sure it will change again. I personally wouldnt do stomach though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2009