What do you do for depression?

I feel so scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• It depends on what level of depression you are talking about...

If you are talking about chronic, debilitating depression that has lasted more than a month OR you are having thoughts of suicide or wishing you would die then you need to immediately go to a therapist or psychiatrist for help.

If you're feeling down or depressed for the moment due to a recent event or chain of events then it's best to trial and error different methods. For some, distrations like shopping, going out, or just keeping busy help. For others more reflective activities help like writing a blog or journal (even if you immediately delete so that no one else will ever see) or drawing, or meditation.
    There are any number of helpful techniques to fight off depression - you just need to find what works for you.
    Good luck!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I cry..... a lot. And try and go with the flow.... and try and stay busy.

and I remember that tomorrow is ALWAYS better and things are ALWAYS worse at night
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I take zoloft i tried to get off it but lord i was like a grizzly bear got back on them i call them my happy pills...not all people react to the same meds. our and hormones arent alike..if you havent tried it ask your doc. see what he says about it .. have a bless day!!!! hang in there ...just remember that god want send us anything we can't handle ..can't say it will be easy ....hope your day is a good one!!!!
    momofadownsson

Answer by momofadownsson at 4:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You find a therapist (your family doctor can refer you).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Turn on music and move, meditate and do yoga. Get outside, vent in my diary, there are all sorts of ways to deal with it. I hope you try some of these and find a way that helps you.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 7:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Take a great multi-vitamin and other natural medications from Melaleuca that actually work!! Take their 90 day challenge and see if they work for you.
    mom45kids

Answer by mom45kids at 8:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have to agreee with hibbingmom. It's ALWAYS worse at night. I try to keep myself distracted. Keep busy during the day even when I want to just dig myself a hole, and watch TV or read a funny book at night instead of laying in the quiet dark letting my thoughts get the best of me. It also does help to talk to someone, and possibly consider medication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have a friend that take a natural supplement that makes a difference for her depression.
    ATaylor209

Answer by ATaylor209 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Talk to your Doctor there IS help and you don't have to go through it alone. Just try to remember that once you are a parent Your mood affects everyone including your children so its very important to take help that is offered. Good Luck. I have suffered from depression myself and I know how painful it is :(
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• What is something that you enjoy doing? I like to draw, paint, take photographs. When I feel myself slipping, I do those things to tone it down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2009