When homechooling, how do you motivate your students.

I have seen remarkable improvement with my son over last year and we both love the curriculum, but I find that my DS is happy with C work. He doesn't challenge himself or take pride in his work even in subjects he loves or does well with. He is a great artist and the stuff he draws for fun is remarkably detailed and ornate. His art in class be it drawing counters in math or drawing a picture in his science journal is scribbled and non cohesive. His writing, in greeting cards and home books he makes, while often not spelled correctly, shows proper capitalization and legibility but his school work does not. I haven't got a clue as to another way to explain to him why it's important. It's frustrating because it's like I can see him calculate just how much he needs to do to get by and it's like pulling teeth to make him take it even a step further. Any ideas would be great.

Liansmommie

Asked by Liansmommie at 2:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I actually don't grade his work at all he has teachers who do that or online stuff that gives him a score which he always scores high on. When I say c work I just meant his work is average to below average and I know he can do much better. I have tried all of these suggestions already. He just doesn't seem to care one way or the other. I can't even interest him in rewards and that has always worked in the past. Thanks for the answers though.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I was homeschooled, and the way it worked for me, and well, anyone else I've met, is once you've finished your work, you're free to go play! Not like public school where you've got to sit there for 6 hours regardless of whether you've finished your work. So I often did the minimum, to have it over with, so I could do things I deemed more fun. Maybe restructuring your day somehow could help, breaking up school time rather than getting it all done in a few hours, if this is the case with you and if it's also possible.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 2:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• maybe when he gets an A you can make it a big deal....or just take C or ouf grading turn C's to D's so its A=90-100 B=80-89 D=60-79 F=59 or below that way its not possible to get a C and C's not passing so he'll aim higher

or so many A's can have a prise attatched to them???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Make him redo work you don't find suitable. We HS and ours is 6. He likes to get things over with - by doing a subpar job. I remind him when he's starting something that if it's done poorly (especially on things like handwriting sheets) because he rushed through it, he WILL be doing another sheet that he does properly. Mine would rather NOT have to redo it and tries to do it right the first time. Some times he tries to get away with it (i.e. not writing full words, doing something poorly) and when that happens he gets to rewrite the words, redo the sentences, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Threaten them with public school! That usually does the trick.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't grade my kids work. If it has mistakes, I go over it with them to make sure they understand it and then they correct their mistakes. It's pretty simple to do.

I find my kids do better if they are interested in what they are learning. So many curriculum take an interesting subject and chop it up until it's boring and irrelevant. Maybe take a break from curriculum entirely and just use real books to learn a subject. It certainly works better for my kids!

Good luck.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009