Is my son a Sociopath?

When my son entered in the 1st grade the school he was in was so sure he had ADHD.I went and had him see a doctor and the doctor confirmed that he did have ADHD. So I had another doctor confirm it. They put him on med and for the next 8 years they kept increasing his dosage when he max out on the dosage size they told me I had to change his med's. This all bothered me because the whole time the school still complained about his behavior. So instead of increasing his dosage I took him back to the doctors and they said he did not have ADHD after all and that he has depression. Then was put on depression med's and seeing his doctor twice a week. When he turned 16 years old he decided he would not longer take his med's, I did not fight him on it cause I have seen no change in the way he acted on the med's. Finally come his 11th year he was kicked out of school.

please read more below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• So this past school year I got him in a home base school year that would allow him to get credit for his 11th year so he could pass with his class. Well when summer started he told me he wanted to visit his grandmother for the summer and I thought it would be a great idea, she really wanted his company and I figured he could use a break from his life. She lives out in the country not many people around. Well while she was spoiling him he decided to find other ways to act out, one night he had come home
    a few hours late and she was talking to him about it and he blew up called her some unspeakable names. I rushed to her house to get him. I was speechless on how he had treated her. She had given him everything he wanted. Well after he washome a few nights he started being abusive to his siblings again.

Keep reading
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• sounds like there are underlying issues.. abuse ? physically or mentally or emotionally, divorce, anyone in the family die or any drug use??

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• again. I tried to talk with him about it and he just kept telling me they deserved everything that they had coming just like my mother did. He said she should of stayed out of his business. He had no remorse on what he had done and felt nothing was is fault not his words or acts.
    So I sat down and tried to figure out just what was wrong with him. I am scared to talked to a doctor about what I thinkmight be wrong with him because from what I am reading its not curable, EVER. And reading more tells me that I should get him out of my life ASAP. This is my SON! My baby!
    Okie so I went down a checklist on what a Sociopath is and my son falls under almost all and some I am really not sure.. like Shallow Emotions, if someone is Manipulative how would I know if its Shallow Emotions? Or Incapacity for love. :(
    When things like these run through your head you can see things that have happened that you just completely miss. help plz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you should NEVER "get your son out of your life" regardless of his issues. thats your son, your blood. stick by his side through thick and thin. some could say he does have it, some on here may say no, we dont know though best bet would be to have him see a dr, but try not to force drugs on him. try alternative routes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No, we are a church going family. No one is using drugs, I do not think my son is even using drugs. I thought that could be an issue but this has always been a problem for him. I have thought my mother might have spoiled him to much over the years but I really do not that that is it. My other two children are well rounded. They both do well in school, argue like any other children would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't know whether your son is a sociopath or not. But I do know that, from the sounds of it, your son needs help, and the longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. Btw - I know that you haven't been waiting, you've been trying to get him help, but I think you need to try a new direction. Instead of taking him to his regular Dr, you need to take him to a Psychiatrist. If you wait too long, then he's going to be a legal adult and you won't be able to do anything to help him if he doesn't want it. Now, you can still control the situation (to a point).

You need to document all that's been going on, diagnosis, mis-diagnosis, etc. Document specifics as far as behavior stuff that's going on.

Talk to the Psychiatrist about your concerns. He might need other anti psychotic meds, he might need to be hospitalized.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Get a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• cont

Even if he is a sociopath, this is a mental illness - just the same as if he had any other physical illness. You can still love him, and still be a part of his life, you just have to be aware of what his condition is, and handle it accordingly. In fact, finding out what his problem is, and getting him help (whether he appreciates it or not) IS an act of love and is the act of a responsible, caring parent - because you are protecting and helping him, and, sadly, if needed, you are protecting society from him (and thus, in a way, still protecting him).

Talking to experts on this, and going from there is a sign of love, NOT a sign of turning your back on your child. Do what you need to do, and don't beat yourself up over it, you're doing the best you can!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• IDK I'm sorry...
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Sounds like he has emotional issues. Sounds a lot like how I acted after my sexual abuse. I think he should see a psychiatrist. Teens open up a lot easier to non family. I am not asking these questions for answers for me to know but for YOU to think about. I do not want you posting your whole life on here.
    Does he have a male figure?
    Was there ever a possibility of abuse (physical emotional sexual)?
    Anything that could signal a problem..like not wanting to go to school, church, a certain friends house, not wanting a certain babysitter?
    When does he seem most at peace?
    Is he blaming you for his "problems"?
    I know it is hard to believe anything could happen right under your nose but it does. I hope you guys can work through this.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009