Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who can do your paper work for buying a property besides a lawyer, any ideas of who can be cheaper?

The lawyer wants to charge me 400 for the paper work but I think thats to much, what do u think?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Im confused. When we bought our house we went through a relator, paid for nothing but the property. The seller paid the relator fees...

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • You can go through a realtor, but you'll pay a percentage of the sale price. The lawyer sounds pretty darned cheap to me.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • If shes BUYING she'll pay nothing unless shes taking out a mortgage and the mortgage company require a down payment. The seller pays the realtors (theirs and yours) out of whatever $ he'll make off the property. But to get this, you have to find a realtor, and then 'find' the property u want to look at, tell them, they''ll take you to see it and then you can put in an offer. So you'll have to pretend you havent seen it before. We have many realtors in the family

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • This is an insurance policy. The lawyer we used when we bought our house saved us $8,000 on the purchase price.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • Even when using a Realtor where the seller generally pays the Realtor's commission the buyer usually pays all other miscellanious fees, including but not limited to Document Preperation, and Title Fees to assure a clean and unencumbered title is being transferred to the new owner. If you are either paying cash, or simply transfering property amongst known parties, an Attorney is a reletively inexpensive opton. You can try some of the do it yourself sites, with form letter style paperwork, but you still have to pay for the forms, title search, transfer and recording, often in addition to some fee for online help and tutorials, and you have no recourse if you make a mistake. A paralegal may be able to help you prepare your paperwork for a lower fee, but I think an Attorney is the safest option for something that carries so much liability as property transfer. Good Luck, I hope you find the right soloution.

    Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • Here in SC it is LAW that you must use a Real Estate lawyer or you can not close. 400 is a TAD high but well within range. The lawyer will save you ALLOT of headaches down the road, expically if your buying a used home or are not using the standard real estate contract.

    Answer by vbruno at 9:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • I still say the lawyer is cheapest.

    You can get a legal plan that covers that for as little as $27 a month.

    you can look at some plans by going to

    Way cheaper!

    Check out this article about these plans helping out everyhere.


    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • In FL and many other states, you can use a Title Agency to do all the paperwork for you when purchasing property and homes. The title agency makes sure everything is legal and all the paperwork gets filed correctly and they do a good job at it because if mistakes are made the buyer can sue the title agency. Plus a title agency costs a lot less than a real estate attorney.
    When we bought our home we didn't use a realtor, the previous homeowners and ourselves, did the contract together. Then the bank did the mortgage and set everything up for us with the title agency. No realtor, no lawyer.

    Answer by slw123 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • How much did the title agencey charge you slw123?
    Why did they lie to me and told me by law the buyer needs to pay everything of the lawyer???

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.