Finger sucking

My son is almost 5 months old and lately has been sucking on his fingers a lot. This doesn't bother me as I know this is how all babies learn, by putting everything in their mouths. This does however, bug the heck out of my 14 year old brother who was recently taught in school that thumb sucking increases the chances of needing braces in the future. My question is, how can I explain to my brother that this is how babies learn and that he needs to back off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let hm know that suckling, breast, bottle, fingers soothes babies. Your little one may also be teething..and finding comfort from the pressure on the gums. He may really just be trying to be constructive, but is becoming obnoxious...and I think he might benefit from being told so. Let him know how darling it is that he is concerned, and that you genuinely appreciate his point, maybe if he feels addressed, and heard...he will knock it off. At 14, it sounds like he is feeling usurped and needs to be seen and heard in any way possible.  Remind him he is special, and as he grows and fosters a relationship with the baby his influence is sure to be made even more special because of his concern for baby's well being and health.  Good luck, I am sure it is working your very last nerve...but do try to be patient, and reassuring...
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 7:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Ummm, your brother is 14, just tell him, he has no child rearing experience and quite frankly, doctors can never make up their mind about what is good and what is bad for babies. There is always some new study out that contradicts the one they just completed. I had my children 10 years apart and was sent home from the hospital with TOTALLY different care instructions both times. Just follow your instinct Mama and take good care of your baby.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Every time I try to tell him that my parents immediately jump all over me telling me I'm wrong.
    SweeThang931

Answer by SweeThang931 at 7:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• tell him simply you dont have to worry bought needing braces when you dont have teeth yet to mess up :>
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Does he suck his thumb or his fingers? If he sucks on his fingers tell your brother that it's fine because it's not his THUMB! :) Hope this helps, sorry lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would tell my brother my parents and anybody else to back off. There is no way to keep a 5 month old from sucking their fingers. And if somewhere down the road your kid needs braces they wouldnt be the first or last person to ever need braces.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm with Mommy2Layla08... Tell him the baby doesn't have teeth yet, so there's nothing to mess up. It's continued thumb-sucking through the toddler/preschool years and beyond that can cause an overbite, and even then it doesn't happen all the time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2009