Suggestions for a family to reconnect

My family needs to get connected with my 13 year old step son; if we don't have something to do as a family then he sits in his room and does who knows what or he sits at the computer and messes around. Let me also tell you my husband and I also have a 3 and 5 year old girls. So if you have any suggestions about what we could do as a FAMILY that does not cost a lot I would REALLY make me happy.

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe he needs alone time to do some guy stuff with his dad??? Good Luck.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have told his dad he needs to do things with his son and he will for awhile and then just stop.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• There's a card game called Skipbo - you can usually pick the deck up at Walmart or someplace like that. It sounds harder than it is, and can be a fun game once you get into it. (Sometimes it gets off to a slow start if you have a bad shuffle and deal).

It's a game that as long as you can count from 1-12 you can play, but can still be a lot of fun for adults.

Also, it's not exactly cheap, but we like playing WII as a family - there are games you can set up for little ones and older ones, you could do guitar hero world tour where you set it so as long as they hit something the drums register (so the little ones can do it), to difficult, (so your teen will, too).

Also, you could try things like bike rides (put the little ones in bike seats), go camping, cook together as a family - something fun - home made pizzas, have a finger foods night, whatever.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Put that boy in sports, baseball, football, soccer. I would be monitoring what he's doing on the internet at his age. 13 year old boys get into allot of mischief at that age. Go to the park with all the kids, play frisbee or catch, go fishing together.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• cont

Also, I think it would be a good thing if sometimes you DON'T tailor it so everyone can play - do something that will connect him with the two of you - put the little ones to bed and have a monopoly night.

Or, you could do something like make ice cream sundaes as a family - get all sorts of stuff for them and everyone can build their own - or, get daring and everyone draw a name out of a hat and build one for that person...

You could do a movie night (combine with making home made pizza, or sundaes) - you can do it with everyone, or start with everyone then put the little ones to bed and watch a teen movie with him.

gl!

Make salt water taffy.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:10 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It is soo hard when you have a teenager and a toddler. I have 2 girls that are 10years apart and finding things to do where both are happy is hard to do. So i do pick and choose activities, we alternate and i also try to spend Quality Time with each doing what they enjoy. But we did start this new thing at dinner that helps me feel that I know what my kid is doing and talking with me more. We play 2 truths and a Lie. my daughter has to tell me 3 things about her day and my boyfriend and i have to guess which one is a lie. It makes talking about thier day more interesting and we love to guess!!!!

Also I know he is a boy but see if he wants to help cook, its a skill he will need soon and the "boys" grilling is a "manly" thing. I've also take the kids Skating - its a riot to see us all try to skate while my oldest is flying by but she helps teach her sister. We also like to go to parks that have nature trails!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2009