help

when breast milk comes in does your boobs get hard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they sure do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• mine didn't. my mom's boobs got really hard, and hurt when she breastfed (but supposedly you can use cabbage for that), but my boobs never got really hard. they definitely would be a bit firmer, especially if my son hadn't nursed for a while, but not hard like some women have. and i never had any supply problems either. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's called engorgement. If you go to google and type in engorgement you can find out lots about it. A good breastfeeding website is www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If your baby nurses constantly, you might not even notice it; some women get lucky like that. But it's very common for engorgement to happen, and not just when your milk comes in (although, since that's the first time you feel it, it's much more uncomfortable than subsequent times, sometimes downright painful), but whenever you go for an unusually long time without nursing (prime example: when baby first starts sleeping through the night). Mine felt like bricks on my chest, it was horrible. But nurse often, and take warm showers and apply warm compresses, and it doesn't take long to get over it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes and it hurts too if you don't pump or breast feed.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 11:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Some ladies dont, it just depends on how much milk you have. Mine were so rock hard you couldnt even press them in
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i'm anon 9:45
    when i said
    my mom's boobs got really hard, and hurt when she breastfed
    i meant, years ago when my mom breastfed, her boobs got hard and hurt. i didn't mean that they hurt when she breastfed, just from the engorgement. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009