Sippi Cup HELP!

I've got an angry 12 month old! We're trying to get him to take a sippi... and I've been screamed at and have had about 4 different kinds of cups thrown at me! He has had some belly issues, and has been on Nutramigen formla and not many "foods." So at the same time, we're also transitioning him very slowly to milk (to see if he's grown out of the intolerance) and getting him to eat more real meals. The poor little guy just seems so frustrated - that is, until I give him his formula/milk in a bottle. Suggestions?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 9:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had a bad lactose intolerance til she was a little over 2. They can definitely grow out of it. It sounds like you might be changing too much at once. If he is used to a bottle, give him a little cows milk from a bottle. If he still has the lactose intolerance, you can ask your doctor about Lactaid. My daughter did great on it. I would recommend gradually introducing more table foods while you are giving him milk in a bottle. Once he is used to the table foods and milk (it should only take a month or so at most) then you can slowly introduce the sippy cup. If you give him a sippy cup with water and let him carry it through the day, and just give him milk in a bottle once a day or so, he may get used to drinking from a sippy when he is thirsty. Toddlers do much better at adjusting when you introduce one new thing at a time. Good luck, sounds like you are really trying to do your best for him!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• try the sippy cups w/ a silicone spout- they feel like a bottle so its an easier transition for them.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We've tried NUBY with the silicone spout (those really made him mad... like we were tricking him), Gerber, NUBY with the straw and Playtex - with the plastic spout. He seemed to do best with the straw, but everything makes him MAD.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Nutramigen is given to infants that have milk allergy or lactose intollerance. It is a formula of last resort because it is so expensive. If he was on the formula the doctor must have had reason to believe your son has milk allergy or lactose intollerance. You do not want to give milk to a child with milk allergy or lactose intollerance. These conditions do not go away, they get worse.

Children over 12 months don't have to have cow's milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. The things that it has in it that are of value are protein, calcium, and vitamin D. Your son can get these from other sources. Protein is in meat. Juices and other foods are fortified with calcium. There are foods that have calcium. Vitamin D comes from the sun. Multivitamins usually have vitamin D.

My kids have never had a glass of cow's milk. We used soy milk for cereal.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Give him a sippy on his own time... just keep offering it but don't push it. As long as your child is off the bottle by 18 months it's not a big deal.
    My son didn't want anything to do with it either... we would just offer it at meals times... most of the time he wouldn't take more than a sip before throwing it on the floor... but after awhile he got the hang of it.
    We use the NUBY sippys... we found that he did the best with these out of all the others we tried.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Cont.

If he had lactose intollerance and no alleragy he can probably have about one serving of milk products a day. You don't want to waste that on a glass of milk when there are so many fun foods with milk in them - pizza, ice cream, yougurt, pudding, custard, cheese, food with cheese in it.

I have a 12 mo grandson I take care of several days a week. Don't worry about real meals. Toddlers need to be eating frequently throughout the day. My grandbaby likes shaved leftover steak, shaved leftover chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, real oatmeal, fruits, pizza crust, Teddy Grahams (sp?). I'm the grandma so I don't have to worry about balancing all the food but I offer him a lot of different things.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Cont.

You can take a Tupperware bell tumbler seal (lid) and punch a hole in it with a regular hole puncher. Take it and go to the hardware store and get what looks like aquarium tubing that they sell by the foot that fits tightly through the hole. Buy a foot or more, it's cheap.

Put the lid on the tumbler and put the tubing through the hole. Cut off at a good length for a straw. My youngest son had developmental delays and this is what they made up at the hospital for the kids with CP that had trouble drinking. It's very easy to drink out of the straw, hard for little hands to get the straw out, and when the glass falls nothing or only drops spill out. The tubing is safe for drinking from and can be washed.

I've even cut longer straws and used them in adult size tumblers for me when I didn't want little people spilling my drink.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP here - just to claify - from what the all the doctors (3 different peds due to moves) and allergists have told us (he just has milk & soy intolerance, but other food allergies) most babies grow out of intolerances and even some allergies at one year, hence the recommendation to try whole milk.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You know what, I would do one thing at a time, keep the bottle until the complete switch is made. All kids love apple juice with half water, so try that in the sippy cup in between his usual feedings. He is probably trying to get used to a new taste, and a new texture all at once--don't stress no one graduates high school still drinking a bottle--good luck, you sound like a good mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My son never took a sippy, just straws, and the spill-proof ones seem to be harder to suck out of. My son has been using the cheap Take-n-Toss straw cups ($2-3 for a pack of 4 or 5) since a year old. The hole in the lid is round so the straw fits snugly, and when it tips over only a few drops come out (like what Gailll was describing, but pre-made). They don't take as much effort to suck the drink out, and it's not a sippy, which made my son happy. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009