• In the Spotlight:

If you are a minor and have a baby should your parents be responsible for medical bills?

I was reading a post where the mom is being denied medical care by her OB for a preg. because she had her last baby as a minor and her parents are behind on payments for that medical care/birth. I did not reply because I didn't have anything nice to say...but I'm curious what does everyone else think, should the parents be responsible for those bills? My opinion is that since she was adult enough to have sex then she should be adult enough to pay her own bills, why should her parents be sent to collections for the birth of HER child? Even if my parents had paid them for me while I was still a minor I would have taken over payments and paid them back once I was an adult......legal or not its not right that they are stuck with it....just thought it was an interesting topic, what is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in About CafeMom

• If she got into a car crash because she was drinking and wound up in the ER and ICU for Months, the parents would be responsible since she is underage...having a baby is no different. She is still a minor and is still under their supervision and care.
    However, if my daughter got into this position, she would be getting a job and taking care of the baby. although I am her mom, I am not the one who screwed up and will make sure that she takes ownership for her actions. No free rides here.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• WHAT?! I didn't even know that was possible! I agree with you, her baby her bills!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• So should the grandparents have the baby and be the guardians until she is of age? It's the same thing. You can't be adult in one circumstance and a minor in another. That sucks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The current baby should have nothing to do with the other one. The fact was that she was a minor when she had the first, so yes, the bills were put under her parents name (to make sure they were paid). The current one though should be put solely in her name. I don't get it.
    Anonymous

• Oops, forgot the second part...she should not be denied coverage for her parents being lax on their payments.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My point is that morally I could not allow my parents to pay for my bills, minor or not I would have paid them back somehow..........I would not be able to have that on my conscience......maybe its just how I was raised.

And yes I do agree it should have no effect on her current pre-natal care, she should not be denied.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well no her parents obviously shouldn't be responsible for the bills but like any other medical treatment/care she may have needed as a minor, they will always go to the parents. If I was the mother of a daughter who got pregnant as a minor, I would agree to pay her hospital bills as long as she paid me back when she was able. I would rather do that than have her not get proper medical care or worse...abort the baby.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• why couldn't she get medicaid?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• just for the record, for insurance to cover the baby (even in pregnancy), the parents of the teen mom need to be made the legal gardian of the baby. insurance cannot deny coverage IF the policy holders are the parents or legal gardians. However, the teen mother is the legal gaurdian, therefore she is legally responsible to pay. The OB doctor can accept payment from the parents, but isn't legally required to provide service, especially if there is no payments being kept up. But if the parents signed something saying they can be held legally responsible for payments, welll, then they can. Almost every medical form i've filled out for me or my kids have had this clause in it, so i would be surprised it their medical forms did not state this!

And OP, i agree with you. Old enough to have sex, old enough to be responisble for it:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• tnm786...the baby would get medicaid. The teen would be on parents tab.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2009