Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is a Student Financial Aid Question...

I was helping my daughter fill out her FAFSA last night. She is 21 and has been living on her own for three years. But, according to that, she still is considered a dependent, until she turns 24. That means she still has include my tax information on her form. This sucks.... she won't be able to get any student aid because I made too much... Anyone have any suggestions on ways around this? Not illegal, of course, just what other circumstances could we look at?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • Unless she is one of the following- 24, married, working on her graduate degree, serving in the Armed forces, or a veteran, then there is nothing you can do about it. However, since she is living on her own, when it asks for housing arrangements at the end, she can put living off campus/on campus (whatever the case my be) and this will give her a little more money since the cost of attending school will go up due to this. One last thing you can do is to submit all the paperwork. Once she gets back the report with what she qualifies for (if any), then she can request a reconsideration. She will have to fill out a form which explains why she is requesting it. Most of the time it does not work but in rare cases it might. Other than that she can apply for student loans and scholarships.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 4:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • wow they must be getting more strict because it wasn't that strict when I was in college

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2009