Watching your neighbors' kids for free for 20 minutes is unlicensed daycare?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33068650/ns/today-parenting_and_family/

All the neighborhood kids meet at one house to wait for the bus and play together for less than an hour. A nosy neighbor reported her for "running an unlicensed daycare" and she's now facing criminal charges. Read the article - some of the things DCFS told her are absolutely insane. Playdates are illegal if the other kids' parents leave their house? Is there any other state this f'd up (I realize, it's Michigan, they have their heads up their butts in dozens of ways)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Whatever happenen to it takes a village? MORE parents should be this responsible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• seriously? you'd think someone would care enough to keep an eye on kids instead of having them stand by the road unattended waiting for the school bus as thoughtful. Hope it gets dropped and fast!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• From the article, there's a state congressman hurrying to draft a bill to change the law, because the way it's written, they're technically right.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well then i need to be in trouble over and over again. I probably should be in trouble to because we see our neighbor at the grocery store and we end up swapping kids for the rest of the shopping trip & ride home LOL
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well then whats babysitting?! Thats crazy she's getting in that much trouble. I wish I could help or say more but really... thats just insane!
    beka03

Answer by beka03 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, I have never heard of such a thing, and I suppose that would make me culpable too. Last school year, my friend had a son in my son's school. School let out at 3:05 but my friend usually worked until 3:30 or 4. I would take her son with me and we would do homework until mom came to get him. I only did this three days a week, but I can be certain it was more than 28 days in a year. I had never had any problems, but this is Colorado. And then I suppose technically, all those days that my dad took my stepson (by common law marriage) to his house to shoot BB guns and help with the livestock he would have been considered as doing something illegal since they aren't technically related. That is absolutely ridiculous. What about birthday parties? Parents make arrangements like this all the time. We have to help each other out. I can understand an actual daycare needing to be licensed, but a friend that is just helping out?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Unless they live in one of the houses right next to the bus stop, isn't making them stay at the bus stop leaving them unsupervised completely? That's so much better <<
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They said if you are watching children in your home for more than 4wks then you are required to get a license. She even asked what to do if it was pouring down rain and they literally told her to buy an umbrella. Seems like that law is alittle backwards, after all she is doing it for free and for about 20mins a day. Seems like that neighbor that ratted her out needs a reality check and a life.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my son wants to play with his freind (nieghbor) all the time. When they are at our house, the parents make use of the time and run an errand, and we've learned to do the same. We also watch each others kids when we have things like parent-teacher conferences at school, and we don't take the kids. I'm sure we've watched each others kids more than 28 days, if even for a half hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2009