Are your kids spoiled? What do you consider spoiled?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter's kind of spoiled. I buy her things that I want her to have, that I never had as a child. She has tons of shirts and pants, tons of sweaters and a couple of winter coats. she has about 5 pair of shoes. She has lots of toys. But, than is it that she's spoiled or do I just give her selections to pick from. She went to a camp this year that cost a lot of money. But, when it comes to wanting things she doesn't get it. So, I'm not sure if she's spoiled or not! Now, I'm confused. LOL!!
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 11:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No my kids are far from spoiled. I don't want materialistic kids. I would rather compationate kids. Personally I don't think a child can be spoiled and NOT be a brat. Hense: spoiled brat.

I clasify kids as spoiled if they have every/any toy they want. Ill mannered. All the brand name clothes. More things than they can use/need within a weeks time. Purchasing things for them just to do it.

My kids get toys and gifts like all kids, but very small amounts and only on holidays/birthdays. I also make my kids give. I dont want them being attached to material things. They are well behaved an compationate. Now some of my friends who love to spoil their kids: are brats. I have had to cut ties a few times.
    shymom24

Answer by shymom24 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

---
    I think you need to rethink that. I was spoiled as a child , and was and still am VERY compationante!! I was NOT a brat what so ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Spoiling a child has more to do with just stuff, it can also be associated with how they are disciplined or in some cases, not disciplined. My dd has alot of "stuff", and we are working with her to learn appreciation for what she has. Some parents spoil their children by refusing to teach them good morals and behavior. I am amazed every day when I go to work (at an elementary school), and the behavior that comes from some children. I have kids that just flat out tell me no, they are not going to listen to me. I think this type of spoiling goes above and beyond materialistic things, parents need to be raising well behaved children and good citizens.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My dd is spoiled with lots of time and attention from her mommy. Nothing wrong with that!! ;-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My little sister was spoiled as a child, but now that she is 31 years old with her own family, she is very kind and generous. She outgrew it. A little spoiling in her childhood didn't affect her adult life. She was the baby of the family and I think it was only natural that she was a little spoiled.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009