Why does my 5 yr old ds smile and laugh when I correct him?

I know I am setting myself up here to be bashed. I am thinking that there could be someone who can actually give me an honest compasionate answer.
I think he just thinks I am a joke?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is almost 5 and he does the same things when I discipline him, when it is his dad doing the discipline he doesn't. I think it may be the fact that kids sometimes think the mom is the more understanding one, and doesn't take what we try to do in correcting them when they misbehave seriously. I would suggest keep on consistently in correction when needed, he will get the hint you are serious.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 10:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I used to do that when i was a kid. I think it was because it was akward with my parents staring at me for so long nad i was stuck standing there. I wasnt angry I was just watching them go on and on and I felt weird looking at them and listening. If I was was upset, embarrassed or crying it didnt happen but if thye were lecturing I smiled. I remember biting my cheeks trying not to smile cause they would go on and on for longer and I knew it wasnt funny I just couldnt help it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• He cant help it! No but really! I do the same thing and so does my son. Its not that he thinks its a joke... for me its when I'm in an uncomfortable situation or I'm nervous. Same as my 5 year old. For ex: (I know this sounds horrible!) My moms dog died. She was old... it was going to happen. And my mom is on the ground crying holding her. My bro and sisters are consoling her even looking genuinely concerned for her... but me. No emotion. I actually have to fight back a smile. I don't know why but I cant control it. I know it doesn't help you in the situation but maybe understand a bit. GL and don't be to hard on him. He may just be nervous!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It could be a nervous reaction. I laugh hysterically when my dd gets shots...I can't help it but I'm getting better at hiding it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Because he knows you are not going to follow through, or that you are going to stand there and count and look silly. Try picking him up and swatting his ass... let him know you mean business and that you are the boss.. not him.

No bashing... Just be an adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• we're going thru the same thing with our son, 5 in three weeks

he tries soooo hard. he LITERALLY tries to pry the smile off his face. it's so, so weird
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i wish there was more feedback on this one!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2009