20 min curse?

Anyone have any ideas of getting my baby over the 20 min curse of waking up from his nap? He has been sleeping well..13 hrs per night, with once to wake up and eat. He will be 12 weeks tomorrow. I do not let him CIO. He may fuss or whatever, but not crying. I have tried to "woo" him back to sleep, but it doesn't seem to work. Got any advice on how to get him back to sleep? Naps are still a big struggle for us, but nights seem to be getting better! I do let him fall asleep on his own at naps, with my assitance of getting him drowsy from reading a story while rocking.

ashleybgarcia

Asked by ashleybgarcia at 10:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I somewhat agree with JadeMom07. If he's sleeping well at night, he may not need naps throughout the day. He does need REST though -- time where he's not being messed with, where he's just being held or swaddled so he can regain his energy. My son slept great at night and never napped well either and was really cranky until I just started sitting and holding him for an hour or so, a couple of times a day. Sleep and rest aren't necessarily the same thing.

Also, if you're trying to coincide his napping schedule with his feeding schedule, that may be the problem. Formula and even breastmilk may not sit well on your little guy's stomach just yet, and he may not be comfy enough to nap. Try waiting a little longer after he eats before you lay him down, and like another poster said, try swaddling. But if that doesn't work, definitely try just letting him rest, and not worrying too much about actual sleep. :]
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It sounds like he is getting plenty of sleep. He may not need a nap.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yeah... you can't have it all. 13 Hrs of sleep at night with no naps, seems pretty logical to me. Good God, he wasn't born into this world to sleep all the time. He has to have some waking time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• He just started sleeping that much like 5 days ago..So he has never napped well, no matter if he got 6 hours/13 a day or not. I am not asking to have it all. I was asking for practical advice to get him over the 20 min. I have done a lot of research, and babies do need naps. He is cranky and crying when he doesn't get them. So I am asking if anyone has advice on how to help him sleep better on his naps. Anom he is awake a lot...So..It's not like I am trying to confine my child to a bed to sleep all day. I try to get him to take one nap every three hours, bc that is his eating schedule.Thank you!
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 10:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I try to get him to take one nap every three hours, bc that is his eating schedule

You may need to cut the naps to 2 times a day instead...rather than several naps, try less naps for longer time
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Oh, and naps do not always go hand in hand with the feeding schedule...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, I guess what I am saying is that if he eats every three hours, it would make no sense to put him down 30 min before his next feeding bc he would be hungry. So I try putting him down where he isn't hungry.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 11:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Maybe you shouldn't schedule feedings but let him eat when hungry. Then you don't have to worry about the time it is.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 11:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Naps were always a challenge for us too, until recently. We never tried to put her on a schedule, we just went with her flow. We did have a routine that we followed, though, when she was showing signs of being sleepy. We have a cd player right by her side of the bed (we bedshare) and when she's acting like she's sleepy, we take her upstairs, close the curtains, turn on a fan, change the diaper, and turn on the music (same cd every time). She has become accustomed enough to the routine of getting ready for sleep that now, when we start getting ready for bed, the beginning of the routine is a sleep cue for her. Even if she's not that tired, she will fall asleep once we've begun our routine. She sleeps through the night (10 - 12 hours) and takes 3 naps each day. She chose the schedule (1st nap at 9:30-ish a.m., 2nd nap at noon-ish, 3rd nap at 5-ish, and bedtime at 8:30) but we dictated the routine. Hope this helps!

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Try swaddling him. Sometimes babies wake up because they are lonley or don't know how to self-soothe back to sleep. Swaddling him may help him feel like he is being held. Some babies don't like to nap because they don't want to miss out on anything that is happening.
    2PreemieGirls

Answer by 2PreemieGirls at 12:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009