Do you buy toys with bad reviews?

My daughter, who still believes in Santa Claus, wants a Gourmet Cupcake Maker for Xmas, but it didn't have great reviews at all. Would u still buy it, or get something different like the Easy Bake Oven?

PS - she is used to getting what she wants from Santa

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 11:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do. it's proved helpful for me...... but usually only practical reasons. EVERYONE saying it's too small and the listed dimensions are B.S. are a common one. and anything about screws/nails/safety/etc bother me. I try and rely on the calm reviews that are in a explaning tone and not the angry rants
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• oops... i kinda answered wrong. i read all the reviews, yes..... do I buy 'em NO

ps the 2 best review sites are target.com and amazon.com in my opinion. and thoughts vary ALOT there
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• it depends on what the review says. if lots of reviews say the same thing, like something malfunctioned and it wasnt fixable or replacable I usually don't get it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• keep in mind most people who post reviews are mad. How many times have you posted/or thought about posting with something you were happy with? My son's bouncer had bad reviews and he loved it and it was very safe. Buy the thing as long as it isn't on recall
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Nope, I buy toys that receive good reviews. My daughter see things now on TV and wants everything. I tell her to let Santa know, when she writes her letter. If I'm going to buy something that's going to cost a lot of money, I want good quality. If it's not going to last and my daughter's going to be disappointed I'm not going to bother with it.

Here according to Amazon.com - they have the Girl Gourmet Cupcake Maker Value Pack, Bakes cupcakes in 30 seconds - it got 3 1/2 out of the 5 stars. Cutie Cupcake Baker got 4 stars,
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 11:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• how old is she? both my nieces have one of those and LOVE IT ... ill admit when my older niece made me my 1st cupcake it wasnt so good lol .. but my sister said shes doing better!!

i look at reviews , but if my kid wants it , ill get it , ill tell them i seen on tv or heard from someone its not as fun as it seems or something ... and they decide if they still want it. and my kid might like what it does and others dont ... and w/ the santa thing , i had told my son once that santa told me that this 1 thing he wanted wasnt so good , too baby-ish for him , and he wanted to know if he still wanted it ... he ended up making up his mind
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP here - well the reviews just complain that the cupcakes are nasty and not too edible as far as taste. And a few comments say that the icing decorator doesn't work too good but you can use ur own icing. I told my daughter and she doesnt care. Another reviewer said she agrees the taste isn't great but her daughter had so much making their own cupcake that she didn't care. And once u put icing on it, the kids eat it anyway.
    But I really rather buy the Easy Bake Oven., but that doesn't make cupcakes, and since its an oven it takes longer, the cupcake maker is in the microwave.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes, I bought the little Kawasaki battery powered 4-wheelers for Toys R US and every review said negative things about it having very little power, poor battery life, battery crapping out or the 4 wheeler falling apart. I bought them for our boys anyway and I thought they were well worth the $60 bucks a piece. We've had them for over 2 years now and they still run just as the 1st day we got them and I've only charged the batteries 4 times and my kids ride them almost everyday, thru the mud and up hills in our backyard. They are to small for them now but still ride them.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009