what are some good foods to eat while sick...

my 17 month old has a cold (stuffy nose, sneezing, no fever, no cough) :(
He hasnt had much of an appetite but he is eating a little of his breakfast (he just woke up! he slept in big time). I attempted the old school "chicken soup" but he doesnt like it. Yesterday I offered some water slightly infused with peppermint tea w/ honey but he wasnt too fond of that. i got gatorade/pedialyte on my grocery list...anything else I can offer him food-wise which is good for colds? someone told me the lack of appetite could be due to his taste buds being temporarily out of service due to the stuffy nose....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• B.R.A.T diet

Bread
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Tea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If it's just stuffy nose and sneezing anything would be fine. I would limit his dairy intake, dairy makes the mucas thicker but anything else would be fine. Give him foods with plenty of vitamin C to help his immune system.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• oh YES! we do have an orange! thanks! I'll offer a few slices
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• anything acidic (tomatoes, oranges, oj) may upset the tummy. But if it doens'nt upset the tummy, fresh fruit, veggies and oj is good (lots of vit. c, antioxidents). i agree with the brat diet and limiting dairy b/c of the mucus.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• BRAT is the mnemonic acronym for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast, the staples of the diet.[1] Extensions to the BRAT diet include BRATT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, and Tea) and BRATTY (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Tea and Yogurt).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• what kind of tea? I offered him some diluted peppermint herbal tea w/ a splash of honey yesterday, but he wasnt too fond of it (I tried it and I thought it was yummy lol). i have a compounded herbal tea for brochial and nasal aid, but it has some herbs in it I wouldnt think are safe for a toddler (such as valerian root)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my son loves jello when he is sick, also peaches, banans, soft foods, no dairy because tht increase phlem / flem?? (SP??) soup is good, maybe try the stuff without noodles, like soup at hand by cambells, the brat diet can be useful too
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• When my kids are sick they like jello, oatmeal, raman soups, crackers, toast....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No dairy
    Miso soup
    peppermint (a natural decongestant) tea

Answer by rkoloms at 3:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Fruit...melon is really good when sick.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009