should teen moms have baby taken away if they cannot finacially support the baby?

I read another post about a pg. teen mom and who is responsible for the bills. In my state, and i know some others, the baby of the pregnant teen cannot be insured on the teen's parents insurance unless the teen grants her parents gaurdianship. So, the baby is then on pa (medicaid and such).

My sister's teen had a baby. Ins. would not cover, & my niece would not give gaurdianship over to my sister. So the baby is on medicaid and pa. This bothers my sister, as she wanted to pay for the baby (who has had several surgeries due to being born with a heart condition). My sister tries to pay for as much as she can, she hates her daughter being on pa, when she can afford to take care of the baby. fyi, My neice lived with her father when she got pg while my sister was out of town for business for a year training a new company. Sister even admitted baby should be taken away since her dd c/n care for it. But sis pays for all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes people who are stupid enough to have kids they cannot afford SHould give them to people who are Prepared, the state shouldnt have to make them, but that is what selfish people do right? only think of themselves, keeping kids they have no business raising, you need a licence to drive, to fish, to do anything but on the other hand any idiot can have a kid and keep them as long as they dont abuse them?? that is crap and the kids are getting short changed.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• and my sister made her dd get a job, go to school. sis pays for all the babies needs, and her dd, b/c otherwise her dd would be living on her own on pa, not working, not going to school, and just living off the system. my sis can't stand the thought of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no, the teen CAN take care of her baby, she can try to find a job for one thing, yes it's hard but it's not impossible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't necessarily think the baby should be taken away because then we would have a lot more babies in foster care. It sounds like your niece has a good support system and she should welcome it because a lot of kids don't.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Unfortunately, this wouldn't be limited to teens. There are plenty of "adult" parents who can't support their children financially. If money is the reason, we'd have to take too many babies and children away.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Nah. I agree with ohwrite, teens aren't the only ones who have issues financially supporting kids. There are adults who sit around and do nothing for their children. There are adults who try their hardest and just can't earn enough to take care of their children. If we were to take away teens' kids, at what point would the age move up and up and up?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• NO we cant start taking babies away cause the parents are poor !!
    You would need to help her find services to get working and help with child care
    Yes PA
    We need to get our girls back on BC in this country there is no excuse for all these teen pregnancies except for carelessness all around
    But you can't just start taking babies away from there Parents we do enough of that in this country
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 11:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• "no, the teen CAN take care of her baby, she can try to find a job for one thing, yes it's hard but it's not impossible"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    then why are soooo many teen moms on pa.? even on this site, i've read soooo many posts saying "i am a teen mom, and on pa" or "i was a teen mom and on pa".

And with all the people wanting to adopt, especially newborns, i don't think the foster care system would be overburdened.

the teen mom has nine months after all to get a job, insurance, and be able to at least attempt to finacially support herself and baby. Did you know in some states, teen dad's are not required to pay for child support either?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I also agree with ohwrite.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Can't do anything about stupid adults who cannot afford to have kids and live off the system, but teens are minors. If they can't be responsible and care for their babies, then no, they should not get to raise them. No wonder we have so many people who live off the pa system. We let them train early for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2009