Potty Training?

When is a good time to start potty training? My 17 month old daughter is fascinated with flushing the toilet, and she has one of those child toilet seat that you set on top of the existing toilet seat...and she gets so excited when she sees it. I'm just wondering if it would be easier or not to go ahead and start teaching her how to use the potty. The hard thing is she is still learning her words...so I don't know that she would be able to tell me that she needs to potty.

B-rit_32506

Asked by B-rit_32506 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 16 months old and pretty well trained. The thing at this age you have to understand is that they will have accidents, and you can't scold them for those accidents because they are just learning. We started my DD on Sept. 4th and by Sept. 7th she was in pull ups full time. We were VERY consistent, taking her to the toilet every 30 minutes for 4 days-we both had a 4 day weekend- and since then she has had days where she only has one accident the entire day, and she LOVES going on the toilet. If I tell her, "Do you have to go potty?" She says, "Potty." Or, "No." She can tell me whether or not she has to go, and most times she tells me correctly. If you are consistent with her, and IF SHE IS READY, then I see no harm in trying.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• There's no harm in trying. The worst that can happen is that it won't work and you'll have to try again later. But make sure that if you're going to do it, do it right. Be consistent -- ask her constantly if she needs to go potty. If she can't find the words to tell you, sit her on the potty and wait. If she goes, give her a treat (a cookie, a strawberry, whatever she likes). If she doesn't, try again later. Consistency is absolutely key, or you're doomed! Trust me. DOOMED! :P
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009