how to get my 12month old to sleep in her crib?

i just got my daughter back in my custody after 3 months of her at her grandmas house. her grandma starteed co-sleeping and now that i have her back the only time she will sleep in her crib is nap time if im lucky. right now i lay next to her till she falls asleep in her toddler bed and then go about my house chores. but late night she wakes up and crawls in bed with me. How can i stop this behavior and get her to sleep all night in her crib like she used to. i have a bedtime routine everynight (the time might change somedays but its still the same diner, bath,book) what can i do???

kerriS561

Asked by kerriS561 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have gone through the SAME (almost identical) situation with custody, and it's hard for a toddler to be uprooted like that. She probably still feels unstable and needs time to adjust.

The most important thing is to make sure you keep the same routine. What you're doing is great -- dinner, bath, book, bed. You can try putting the toddler bed in your room for a while then moving it to her room. Or, if her room is a very safe place for her to be alone, you can try putting a gate up in her doorway -- she may realize that she can't leave, so she'll go back to her own bed. You can also try repetition. If she comes into your room, put her back in bed. Do it over and over, and try staying with her until she's asleep again. Explain to her that she needs HER bed, and Mommy needs Mommy's bed. And if all else fails, find a crib! Start fresh; it may be what she needs after the custody issue.
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009