--UPDATE-- My friend is 6 months pregnant and her water just broke and the baby is only 1lb 40z can it still live?

They asked her if she wanted to deliver yesterday or try keep the baby in there until Friday because she will be 6 month pregnant. They got her on meds right now and she is 2cm dilated. I am going to update you if anything else comes up. Thanks for all the prayers! keep them coming!

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well is a very big change the baby wont make it, but mirackes do happen of coursethe baby will have a lot of health problesm and weill mostly sepnd a few months in the nicu
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• With today's technology, it is possible for the baby to survive. If the doctors feel it is safe for her to keep the baby in for a few days, that's great, as they can start steroid shots to help the lungs develop more. It's a given that there will be a longer then usual hospital stay, and in the NICU rather then the regular nursery. I've heard of situations where doctors are able to replace amniotic fluid if the water breaks too early, but I'm not too sure on how that works.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The baby can make it. How many weeks is she? Viability is at 23 weeks, although the babies that survive at that gestation usually have problems. I had my baby at 27 weeks, and now she is a normal happy healthy 5 year old.
    2PreemieGirls

Answer by 2PreemieGirls at 12:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• piwife isn't necessarily correct. Babies can survive through some amazing conditions; they're extremely resilient.

Chances are, the baby will be just FINE. Send good thoughts and support your friend because this will be a tough time for her. But in all likelihood, mom and baby are going to survive and thrive. My own son was born 7 weeks premature and spent 24 days in the NICU; he's now a perfectly healthy normal toddler. I have a nephew that was born at only 21 weeks gestation (4 months!) and after about 4 months in the NICU, he went home. He was deaf in one ear and blind in one eye; he's now 3 and has full hearing and his sight has almost completely developed in the blind eye.

Modern medicine is amazing, and you shouldn't doubt the nurses and doctors in neonatal intensive care -- they really can work miracles, they do it every day! Just look up stories on preemie babies.
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 12:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

i did say miracles due happen. my friend had her baby at 24wksn and the baby die the next day. yetr i know someone who ha dher baby at around the same week and her baby survived. miracles do happen they do but am not gonna be like yes teh baby si gonna make it when i dont know how many medical prblesm teh baby is going to have. evry baby is different
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my baby died at 6 1/2 mo. but the baby next to him lived. he was abnormally small. my placenta wasnt growing properly. so, in turn he wasnt. they couldnt help him cuz he was soooo small. at the weight you describe theres more tey can do!!! my prayers are with you all!!
    babylovin

Answer by babylovin at 12:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• With modern medicine there is a lot they can do. My twins were 8 weeks early and much bigger. However there was a baby just shy of 2lbs in the NICU(neonatal intensive care unit) with my girls and he survived and is a healthy 11 year old today. He has asthma and a learning disability but is in regular school and doing well.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my sister in law was only 1lb somethin ounces...she has some health problems but it doing well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009